Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Do you ever go boarding alone?

17K views 91 replies 76 participants last post by  RallySoob 
#1 ·
My wife wanted to send me out snowboarding for the day today (Birthday). I turned down the offer because I have some interview prep I need to do. But then I got thinking that I don't want to spend my Bday hanging out by myself.

Is it common for you guys to hit the slopes solo? I find when I go I have a lot of fun shooting the shit with my buddies on the chair lift. I would find it boring if I were alone.

Anyone else?

#63 ·
i ride alone as infrequently as possible..i dont even like taking most runs alone..it just gives me a bad vibe, and i instantly get a little more cautious because i know if i go down, im stuck waiting on snow patrol or someone to help me out..

#64 ·
Riding alone is great because you set your own schedule, go where you want to, and don't have to wait for others to strap in (Flow owner here).

But I recently had a couple of riding days with other guys on the forum which was the first time in my snowboarding career (?) that I've ridden with people better than me. It immediately upped my game.

#65 ·
I've only been 6 times but my 6th I rode alone. I learned so much that day it was awesome. when you have nothing else to think about other than technique it really helped me. and I got way more runs in lol. I've skated forever and always loved skating alone, always seemed to learn something new by myself.

#66 ·
I've ridden alone a lot. Sometimes cause my husband was teaching, sometimes cause I had time off when no one was available. Some of the best times were a few solo runs early in the morning before work in the mountains. I went alone about a week ago and just lapped a powdery area. I forgot what a good time I have by myself. I've also got a good riding buddy. Another person who used to go alone. We meet at the mountain a few times a week.

When I first moved to Colorado I worked mornings and would go to Loveland for a few runs in the afternoon.

#69 ·
I don't disagree SnoWolf but I've already been in the situation where if I didn't Have someone with me, I might've been out there for awhile on my own with a fully broken collarbone. It's not to say I don't run some laps by myself, but I've learned I can't rely on other people on the mountain to help me out.. So I ride a little extra conservatively (not that I ride very conservatively to begin with

#71 ·
Tiried of waiting

It feels like I ride alone, it takes skiers and their strap and those traditional binding people so long to get ready. I just meet them at the first fork away from the huge crowds that form the top of the lifts. Many snow boarders , who read the sign " <== Keep Ramp Clear ==> " translate it to mean " Sit and Strap in Here":RantExplode:

#72 ·
I spend alot of time alone hiking backpacking fishing and snowboarding alone in out of the way wilderness areas as more traveled areas. I like the solitude, being able to do things at you own pace, and the chance to think about stuff. The first time I did any of these things solo(river wading at night was by far the scariest), it was scary because of all the horror stories about what can happen. But now I dont really even think about it. You just have to use your head and common sense and not take unnessisary risks knowing that you might have to self rescue if something happens.

It do like being able to share the fun with other people though. Ive found that unless someone went on the trip/outing/adventure with you, they really dont care/understand about your stories too much. So its nice to be able to talk about the fun stuff you experience with the peeps you did it with. e

This season I have ridden with other people more than ever and its also been one of my funnest so far. Coincidence????

#73 ·
solo. never even considered others till i was boarding 3-4 times a week steady, and i'd bypass social gatherings to go boarding or cuz i was too beat. even if i did go to socials, i'd be regretting my time not boarding lol. even if i do go with someone else, we end up splitting. but the more the merrier. i hate slowing down my pace, or considering other ppls level. but if its with an athletic cute gal, that wants to learn, im for it:thumbsup:

#76 ·
I personally prefer to ride with other people. I think I have a lot more fun that way, and I feel a lot more motivated to try new things and go bigger, but I also find that it's easier to work on little things like correct body position and stability in the air while I'm alone.

I also find I'm way more likely to be outgoing and meet new people when I ride alone.

#77 ·
I go alone about all the time because I don't want to wait for people to find the time to go up together. I only go to bars, clubs, parties with friends. But I go snowboard by myself.

But going by myself, I don't need to worry about losing them and I can focus on getting a clean run. Plus it will ruin my day if I go with a noob who is falling all the time and is unable to ride down anything blue square or above.

I had a guest who came with me because he wanted to try snowboarding. But he didn't even want to wear the proper gear I offered him, he wanted to go his jeans and sweater and ended up getting super soaked. I think we only rode like 3 runs and he was already done for the day, we didn't even ride for an hour! I thought it was kind of lame he wanted to take pics of him pretending to ride so he can post it on facebook.

So yeah I do try going with friends sometimes, but it's not my priority because I also know they can hold me up if they barely ride.

#80 ·
Yeah, I've met some cool people riding by myself. People are more likely to talk to you if you're both alone. I like riding with others but if I'm riding alone I just put in some music and charge hard as I can. Nothing wrong with riding alone. Look at it this way, would you miss out on a great day of boarding because you don't have anyone else to enjoy it with? I'd rather be alone on a hill with awesome snow than sitting at home wishing a friend would join me.

#87 ·
Often, it can be difficult riding with someone of similar ability I have found but always more fun with someone else or a crew. Music is the key to solo riding and getting off the mountain having made sure you improved at least one part of your riding. Improve one part every day and watch how good you get.

Reactions: Scalpelman
#89 ·
My friend had a serious accident on snowboard (breaked bones, blood, loss of consciousness, memory loss).
I had a serious accident on snowboard (breaked bones, loss of consciousness, memory loss).

LUCKY we weren't ALONE on those days (we were riding together).
You are just a meat bag, far away from home (abroad, few hours by car). You can't drive a car and return to home (actually, you can't drive a car for months). You can't clearly speak to anyone.
I can't imagine how much more complicated it all would be if He/I were alone. How much more time consuming, before you finally back in your hometown.

Before those accidents there were days we were riding alone.
After accidents we set a new rule - NEVER GO SNOWBOARDING ALONE.

#90 ·
I never plan on going alone but if it looks like killer conditions and no one else can go, I’m hitting the road regardless. I find when I ride alone I have some interesting conversations with strangers on the chair, which I really enjoy. The funny thing is how many people make comments about not expecting a conversation like that with a boarder, I like to remind them we’re all different you stupid skier bitch LOL.

On one of those bluebird 15” of fresh days I came across a group of four skiers heading to the same powder stash, so I b.s’ed them for a couple minutes where they invited me to their truck for burgers and beer. I made several more runs then decided to head down to my rig and that group of four was parked right next to me cooking up burgers, which they graciously offered me one and a beer. Cool vibes and a killer day

#91 ·
I ride alone mostly except when i have my grandkids. I prefer being alone so no pressure of where, what and when to go. I can chose when to stop riding and head home. I do like to ride with someone as good or better so it challenges me .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.