Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article: Has Snowboarding Lost Its Edge?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
pzull

I started skiing 30 years ago and just recently tried snowboarding as my teenage daughter passed a comment that "old people ski because snowboarding is too difficult for them". Well I did garlands and falling leaf on my first run (after watching video on snowprofessor.com), linked turns on my second run ever all this in first hour of riding. I was a skateboarder 40 years ago so it felt very familiar. So those wanting to pick up snowboarding in one trip should just learn skateboarding in summer and in winter they'll be riding within the 1st 2 days - guaranteed.

I have been riding way more this season than I've skiied and noticed that some skiers would hassle me as a noob snowboarder going slower than them everytime they passed me. I also thought before that snowboarders were a wild and unruly bunch when I was a skier as they would hassle me when I skiing slowing, but since I ski alot faster than I ride (way faster) and I would give chase and an incident follows....especially the time a snowboarder knocked my 10 yr old into a ditch (other side of run was a cliff - I shudder to think what would have happened if he was on the other side). He didnt stop or anything. Reported him to the resort...but nothing. Anyway my point is A-holes will be A-holes whether they ski or ride, they're everywhere, it's life.

One trend I noticed though were my foreign friends from Asia. They were avid skiers skiing 2 different countries every year. As time passed, their entire family switched progressively to snowboarding. Just a few weeks ago, 3 families of skiers vacationed with me in Whistler and they are ALL snowboarders now all 12 of them. I asked why and the reason is Dad is the one that needs to pack and mostly carry all the gear and help the kids get into hard to get into ski boots. All the dads decided snowboarding was more travel friendly. Boards without bindings all pack flat and lighter than skis. Kids can put on boots themselves and bindings don't need adjusting for size and DIN each time junior's feet grows. I heard a forth family they know just switched to snowboarding as well.

I still choose to use my skis when conditions are icy or when I want some speed.

But yes, this season I see much less snowboarders than last year...even number of snowboard instructors has reduced

Last edited by pzull; 01-21-2013 at 11:13 PM.
pzull is offline   Reply With Quote