Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Upper Body 'Quiet' tips or exercises??
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Soggysnow

Question Keeping Upper Body 'Quiet' tips or exercises??

Since getting a new board this season I have found that my speed has improved a little, more contact with the snow, more chance of catching and edge,more care taken in turning so a little happy about that....
However since heading back to the park I realise there is something holding me back. Me!

I have started to concentrate on bending my knees more on jumps as I lacked pop. I noticed as soon as I did this (I also practice on flats, bringing knees up to body) my landings suffered. It was suggested that perhaps I had shifted my weight back, I don't fall, just feel that I am landing awkwardly tail heavy.

I asked my friend who i was riding with after noticing a photo of me looking silly. I had opened my arm out, actually not that unlike some flailing bordercross pics. I think I have been using my upper body to help get height instead of my knees (mentioned in jumps thread) She agrees that I am likely doing this. Arm flapper, great

So now I know that I have a busy upper body, which no doubt transfers into my regular riding which prevents me from riding faster (counter rotation?)

I don't seem to have any problems with boxes. Just could ride faster in general and MUCH cleaner on jumps.

SO i google ways to keep my upper body quiet. Nothing much in the way of help really. Except 'focus on keeping upper body quiet' Its like calling the kettle black.

I would like to know some tips or exercises that can help nip a bad habit, freeriding or freestyle. I got to stop looking like a noob, and focus my energy on the right things.

Last edited by Soggysnow; 01-22-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Soggysnow is offline   Reply With Quote