Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Spins Help
Thread: Spins Help
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Yep, terminology difference.

Also, I have no idea what rasmasyean is talking about with his 'release the rotation into a counter-rotation' thing. He's definitely wrong in his description. Proper counter rotation (which is what I'm assuming Justin was talking about) is independent to rotation and it's just a shift of your body in the air.

I'm assuming what rasmasyean is trying to describe (since what he describes makes no sense and seems physically impossible) is actually him rotating into part of a 180 then using counter-rotation to shifty the remaining 180 and landing without un-doing the counter-rotation.

Ah the joys of complicated terminology. The funny thing is I've always found is people learn faster without using terminology and relating techniques to movements they can immediately understand and picture.

ie - front boardslide to regular is similar to bowling a ball down the lane with your rear hand

Instructors are the ones who complicate it to describe it to other instructors.
Yeah, I suspect that is probably more or less what he is doing. But he is terrible at describing it - mostly because he refuses to use standard terminology.

In some sense terminology is just semantics - but it is helpful to stick with consensus/established language when discussing things.
And one of the key aspects of teaching/coaching is describe things accurately, consistently, and in a way that the student can follow and understand. So unless there is a really good reason not to, I think it is worthwhile to follow the AASI terminology.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote