Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Spins Help
Thread: Spins Help
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Yeah, I suspect that is probably more or less what he is doing. But he is terrible at describing it - mostly because he refuses to use standard terminology.

In some sense terminology is just semantics - but it is helpful to stick with consensus/established language when discussing things.
And one of the key aspects of teaching/coaching is describe things accurately, consistently, and in a way that the student can follow and understand. So unless there is a really good reason not to, I think it is worthwhile to follow the AASI terminology.
I'm CASI trained so I'm stuck with using the term 'counter-rotation' haha, it's just how I'm used to describing it.

I think terminology is a tricky discussion. It's required to some extent, particularly once you get into advanced techniques, but I'm always intrigued by learning studies that find that throwing out terminology and just finding relatable subject matter shows far bigger increases in learning speed than describing using terminology.

I think the tricky thing is if you wanted to do it that way you'd literally have to custom tailor all your teaching examples and terms for every single student using custom subject matter which isn't really feasible for most snowboard instructors, especially not in a group lesson.