Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NY Times Article: Has Snowboarding Lost Its Edge?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #56 (permalink)
RVM
Veteran Member

I did some instructing in Tahoe for the 2010-2011 season and they were pushing me and pushing me to get into skiing. They gave me free demo rentals for the season and set up classes for the snowboard instructors to get lessons from our ski instructors. On busy days there were never enough ski instructors.

Even 3 years ago we had twice as many ski as we did snowboard classes.

I did the skiing thing for a few weeks but ended up hurting my toes pretty bad. Was told I needed to get some better boots and have them fitted for my feet and to expect to spend at least $1000 for all that even with my proforms.

Skiing is fun, and there is definitely something to be said for going down the hill face first, but I can't justify the cost of learning it when I still have so much left I want to improve on with snowboarding.

The one thing I hated about skiing was the fear of knee injury. I've sprained my right MCL twice and that was painful and debilitating enough. I can't imagine shredding an ACL or some crazy shit on skis.

Last edited by RVM; 01-22-2013 at 04:06 PM.
RVM is offline   Reply With Quote