Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - What is the most overrated ski resort?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
HeroForADay

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I would say Sunshine is over-hyped, but I'm sure 10 people will come on and tell me I just don't know where the good parts are! Here's my problem with it.

- Closest BIG mountain to Calgary means you gotta get there early or you're parking on the road, and it's a LONG road.

- Before you can even get onto the hill, you've got to take a 20 minute gondola ride to get to the bottom. People say they like Sunshine because it's closer than Lake Louise, but by the time you park, walk, and get to the bottom of the hill it's probably about the same.

- Lots and lots of flats, boring flats. It's built in a valley, really cool views but by design it's more flat than I like to ride. Could be a fun mountain for some, not for me.
Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Sunshine is probably the most over hyped resort around here. If you're a skier it's doable with all of the flats, but damn... if you get onto a green run, even as a mistake as you traverse across the runs, you're screwed as a boarder. So. much. flat. Not even small sections of flat space, but hundreds of meters of terrain with no slope.

And yes, it gets STUPID busy there on weekends, or any holiday/long weekend. I tried super hard to stay away over the Xmas/New years break for the little kids, but I got suckered into going, and was it ever a disaster. Lift lines were crazy, parking was a nightmare, and the snow was so tracked out it brought a tear to my eye. Going out of bounds is an option if you're comfortable with that... but the resort itself was crazy with how many people take the shorter drive.

Then again, I like to be anti-social and have a bunch of space to myself so I can ride uninterrupted and without having to dodge children doing slow winding turns across the whole run.
HeroForADay is offline   Reply With Quote