Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

snowboarding backpacks

11K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  killclimbz 
#1 ·
So when I went up to stevens a couple days ago I saw a lot of people with backpacks on groomed runs. (especially the green runs)
Is this a fashion trend or what?

#2 ·
Yes, and I don't get it. A small minority of people actually have a need to take stuff on the hill, otherwise it's asinine...

reasons TO carry a backpack:
- you have a DSLR in there and plan to use it
- you are doing a warmup run or two before head to lift accessible B/C
- that's about all I can think of... anything else should be able to stay in your car or the lodge

#5 ·
We just recently started carrying a bag.. Only for the lock, pipe or small BG, and 3 or 4packs of budweiser coldshots.

Sucks having to go back to the truck to blaze or pound a beer, this way we have them with us, accessible every chair.

Riding with the bag kinda sucks though, we switch every few runs.

#10 ·
This. If I'm up there with family and friends I typically keep it for water/layers/wallet/whatever, and don't wear one otherwise. Also, why would it mess up your balance? If that were true no one would every go into the back country. Sure there is some adjustment with a heavy pack on when you're carrying a probe/shovel/layers/whatever, but even that's not a huge deal and no one is just bumming around the resort with that kind to gear in tow.

Frankly, I don't get why people who wear them just tootling around stir up such a big fashion debate.

#9 · (Edited)
Here in Europe, a lot of people carry backpacks. When we are on the pist, we don't return to our hotel untill the pists are closed, so normally I have a lock, some food (sometimes I eat in a restaurant, sometimes just picknick), some water and an extra layer. I have like the smallest bagback to fit it all in and it doesn't throw me off balance.

#17 ·
Depends on which Colorado resorts you are talking about. At Vail, I would be guessing East Vail riders. Saw a lot of tracks coming out of that zone driving home from Palisade on Monday. You should be carrying full avy gear out there. For other Front Range spots, not so much. I suppose it could be peak six lappers or something like that. Loveland has legit access too, but I doubt very many people are getting after that right now.

#18 ·
I rode with a small Camelbak last season. I like having water with me when I want it. I also has a power bar or two, board tool, extra layers and such.

I found it especially helpful when riding at any decent sized hill with more than one lodge.

Just don't go packing everything you own into it.

#20 ·
The only time I wear a pack inbounds is when we've had a big snow storm. Anywhere from 3-6ft of fresh! I'll carry a beacon, probe and shovel. Besides the tree wells, There's one area (Quail Face) that's not covered by patrol, plenty of signs when hiking out to; "Avy Danger" "no patrol" etc etc.. Quail Face has slid in the past, so I'm not taking any chances...

#30 ·
A helmet isn't necessary either, but I wear one because it serves a purpose for me.

Same goes for a backpack. Of course it isn't necessary, but I feel there is a reasonable convenience/use that I get out of it.
Ha. You can't bring the Helmet thing into this. That doesn't make sense.

As mentioned here, safety equipment is different.

I just can't understand why people ride with all that unnecessary shit.

If you do, fine. I just don't get it. That's all :thumbsup:

#31 ·
I have a low profile camelback that i use occasionally with my gopro. it fits under my coat and no one knows. It carries:

My gopro
swifter gopole that collapses into three pieces
my tool
all my applicable gopro accessories
maybe some gum or mints
first aid

I try my very best to keep it bear minimum. No one wants 10+ extra pounds hanging off their back. It throws your mass off more than you think.

If its an extra cold day, ill throw some precautionaries in there(warmers, liners, etc)

#38 ·
i ride with a camelback but just the hydration pak not the backpack, and only because i fill that bad boy with some goose or captain:thumbsup:. Its the only way riding on the ice coast is tolerable.

#40 ·
Okay, I see the need to carry a pack when you go back country ,but most of your stuff will fit in ur pockets (cell phone, wallet, mp3).
I don't really have a problem with people wearing backpacks but I just find it silly when you see kids wearing them, and just eating snow on the bunny hills.

#41 ·
iv got a bigger pack if im going back country to bring the things that are necessary for such adventures, otherwise I use a really low profile camelback. I like to stay hydrated and it is the most convenient way to carry water. Some days when we are more focused on having fun I will fill it with booze. But never on serious riding days.

#42 ·
I have a couple. A smaller one that I used to use at school and an Osprey Kode 38 that I was gifted.

Typically carry a GoPro (don't always want it on my helmet), tool, clif bars, jerky, gatorade, extra goggles/gloves (stuff happens, it's helped before), and that's about it. On a typical day. My friends don't like to stop so we just ride and ride and ride, eat/drink our snacks on the lift and ride again.

The Osprey I'll use on those days where I'm hiking a bit more. It's nice - a bit gnarly for me but it was a gift and I'll be damned if I don't get the proper use out of it.

It might be a bit cumbersome at times (it took me a few runs to get used to it) but on a full day of riding all over the place, I'd rather have it than not. I don't always know where I'll be riding / hiking / traversing with my friends, so I'd rather put up with a little discomfort and have what I need to keep myself fueled for the day.

As far as whether it affects my riding, I haven't noticed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.