Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Utah trip in March
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
WasatchMan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Thanks for the tips! I think I've decided on Snowbasin, Solitude, and Snowbird. I'm sure I'll be back to try out the other places at some point, and these 3 seem to be a good mix for this trip. How do the trail ratings compare? Like black Utah = double black Tremblant sort of thing? Do you think I'll have trouble transitioning to the different snow conditions? Thanks!
The three S's - not a bad choice.

As far as terrain.

Black in Utah = http://i.imgur.com/8ZXQCbz.jpg?1

They aren't quite the same. I mean that is a picture of one of the steepest runs at snowbird, they also have a lot mellow runs that are really fun. You can google around for picture of resorts.

Also if it's a decent powder day, like a foot of new snow. If you've never skied deep powder, you will probably hate it, it's a lot different to ride.

If it's hardpack, it will be more or less the same. I've never ridden on the East Coast, but a few friends have - each time they went it was icy. Utah may feel more soft and 'fresh' when lapping groomers.

edit:

this is apparently a black diamond at tremblant (found on random website)

if so, I would try to stick to blue squares at the resorts you're gonna hit. I wish all resorts would follow the same code on trail maps, or at least add more black diamonds or some other guide. it really confuses people and can get a lot of people hurt or worse.

but yes, utah has a ton of the same terrain as tremblant as well.

Last edited by WasatchMan; 01-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote