Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Total newb - need advice
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noreaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8xp View Post
I'll try the bindings on tonight, thanks! : )

If my boyfriend gives me money for my own board, what should I be looking for as a beginner? And 139/140? Dude at Snow Connection in Seattle told me max 143 in his opinion. Also, what style is best for beginner? I didn't know there was more than one style until I saw the sticky on this section.
Try to stay in 137-141 range. Basically, it doesn't matter all that much if you start learning on a cambered or a hybrid/rocker board. All of them have their advantages and drawbacks and I've seen many beginners who started and progressed successfully with either. Generally, a cambered board is more stable while a rocker/hybrid is easier to initiate a turn with and not so prone to catching edge. I know some people who started off with a straight rocker but in my opinion it's not the best profile to use for a beginner, I would stick with a cambered or hybrid board. But in the end I believe that size and flex are more important than profile. You should be able to turn your board and for that you need to feel it and flex it. Wouldn't matter if you ride a rocker or a camber if you're unable to do it.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote