Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Utah trip in March
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
neednsnow
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Thanks for the tips! I think I've decided on Snowbasin, Solitude, and Snowbird. I'm sure I'll be back to try out the other places at some point, and these 3 seem to be a good mix for this trip. How do the trail ratings compare? Like black Utah = double black Tremblant sort of thing? Do you think I'll have trouble transitioning to the different snow conditions? Thanks!
Know that there is a bit of a driving distance between all three of those, but I think you're getting quite a good cross-section of the Utah Experience, for sure. Snowbasin and Snowbird are my favs. I haven't hit Solitude, but Imma be on it in March!

As far as difficulty........just avoid "extreme" terrain and you'll be fine. There are some crazy off-the-cuff shizz you can hit in Utah, you'll want to avoid that. But the Big open bowls that are "blacks" or the gladed runs....you'll be fine if the snow is fresh. If not, eh, good luck.

As for deep pow. It is a work-out, but so fun! Four suggestions. 1 Bring your biggest board. 2 Set/Move your bindings way back on Pow days 3. Lean BacK! Nose-dives suck, but the float on white fluffy fluff is just yummy. 4. Keep your speed. Obviously avoid rocks and trees and cliffs, but speed helps you float over the snow better. If you are afraid of falling.....no worries, it is fresh soft snow! =)

After SOlitude, hit the Cotton Bottom Inn for a burger. After Snowbasin, find the Shooting Star Saloon.