Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2013 Cartels vs Malavitas suggestions

Tags
bindings
7K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  NoOtherOptions 
#1 ·
Hey guys im looking to get a new set of bindings and its between the burton cartels and malvitas. I mainly just freeride on groomers and hardpack. I want something that is responsive and not too flexible, but I also ride 8 hours straight when i board so comfort is a major factor also. What would you guys recomend? Also i have size11 white collection boots that have shrinkage tech so should i go with mediums or larges? Thanks

#14 ·
Right.
the first year of Nike boots had very large outsoles and barely fit into bindings. They've since adjusted.

Burton boots in Burton Bindings fit on the high end of our size chart, size for size. Some other brands do too, but that's why our binding size chart says Medium goes from size 8-11 US Mens and Large goes from 10 - 15 US Mens.

That overlap between medium and large is a buffer for the variety of dimensions in the market from other brands.

If you're even in doubt, physically check the fit in a store. Kinda like buying pants.

#18 ·
what about a sz 12 Burton Ambush boot? Medium or Large? i would expect Large but now im wondering...

also, what is the general consensus on stiffness of '13 vita vs '13 cartel??

im hearing/seeing mixed reviews...

I am all mtn freestyle, with emphasis on freestyle...the whole mtn is a park!

vitas or cartels?

#22 ·
Bindings are not better or worse in any given terrain. That type of distinction is only a factor for the board itself because it touches the snow.

super specialized products like race (Gate bashing) and split board bindings are a slightly different story.

Jeremy Jones ride the Diode for a great deal of urban riding. Frederik Kalbermatten uses them for Backcountry Freestyle. Peetu uses them for transition riding.

Sollars runs the Malavita for Backcountry Freestyle and Zak Hale uses them to ride park and street.

A bindings function, by our philosophy, is as follows and in order of priority:
1. Keep your feet on the board.
2. Compliment they way a board rides.
3. Fit the boot.

That's it. A binding choice, functionally, has far more to do with what board and boot you're using.

#24 ·
Interesting. You say bindings are not better or worse in any given terrain yet they should compliment the way a board rides, which surely by definition can be very much better or worse depending on the terrain.

I take your inferred point that personal preference is often the deciding factor, but my point is going strictly by your logic I should focus more on how it complements the board, but if I'm never going to use a board built for say backcountry freeriding as my street jibbing board then difficult to see how you cannot be influenced by terrain when selecting the correct binding.

#25 ·
Only in the effect that, and i'll use the Burton Binding Line, as a reference but it holds true in nearly every brand in the market.

If you have a board like, let's say the Burton Clash or K2 Brigade, Biax Glass, Extruded base, low-end, soft, and very easy to ride for a beginner. A binding like the Cartel with a mid-glass loaded content is likely to overpower the board. A softer flexing binding, like a Custom or a Freestyle, for that customer and that board are likely to be more appropriate as this customer, generally speaking, isn't skilled enough to compensate how they ride based on the product being less forgiving.

The Inverse is also generally true.

A mid-stiff toe to heel binding like the Cartel, is in all likelihood, more appropriate for a board like the Burton Custom or another comparable board with Triax Glass and some hits of carbon stringers, etc.

It comes down to this relationship in board material content and the relationship with the boot fit, that makes a good binding decision for most people. Which true, the board is built for some semblance of specific terrain, however, it's bill of materials and to a point shape largely dictate what binding is most appropriate.

So, in the case of "what binding is best for all mountain freestyle?" can be answered with ALL of them. From our Freestyle or our Diode are all applicable. What's the rider's ability, what board(s) are they using and what boot... these factors are they only merit in making such a decision.

#26 ·
So, in the case of "what binding is best for all mountain freestyle?" can be answered with ALL of them. From our Freestyle or our Diode are all applicable. What's the rider's ability, what board(s) are they using and what boot... these factors are they only merit in making such a decision.
okay then,

im a solid intermediate rider (jumps, spins, hard carving, switch riding, etc)

im riding a NS Proto CTX

i use Burton Ambush Boots

GO! :laugh:

#32 ·
FWIW, I own two pairs of Malavitas in a large. One is the Restricted and the other the regular. The Restricted I just bought on Saturday from a guy who wears a size 11 and the larges were too big for him so he went with the medium. I also wear the Ambush but in a size 13. There's still a couple holes left on the straps on mine (I tend to strap as tight as can be as well tho) to move.

#33 ·
How you like the Malavitas? I've got the Restricted EST Malavitas and love them...recently bought a new park board, Forum Youngblood DoubleDog, with Shaka bindings but have yet to break it out. Definitely glad I went with the Vitas on my other board!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.