Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Homebrewing...
Thread: Homebrewing...
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre View Post
Hooray for homebrew! It's the natural progression for anyone who loves beer and likes to do things for themselves. I have at least 50 different kinds of beer in my house right now, but my favorites are some of the ones I've brewed myself.

Kind of a big brew day here today. I kegged my first hard apple cider, transferred a macadamia brown ale to secondary, and am brewing a passionfruit wheat right now. I've been brewing a couple of years now (after a long hiatus due to lack of time), and am looking at going all-grain soon. Between that, washing yeast, and buying a lot of my hops in bulk, I'll be getting my cost per glass down to a reasonable level, and will have more control over my beer as well. I have a pretty rudimentary kegerator with four kegs, which is an amazing improvement over bottling everything. Oh, one other thing that I don't think has been mentioned is, take notes! I'm always looking back at my recipe book to see what I did in previous brews.

So Poutanen, how'd your beer turn out?
Actually really good!!! Not sure if I mentioned earlier in the thread, but the mix was called "everyday IPA" it's intended to be an IPA for people that like craft brews, but not the in your face hoppy IPAs which are so prevalent today. I changed the recipe a bit, adding the bitter hops later in the wort making process to hopefully tone down the hops even more.

I'm actually really impressed with how it turned out!

I need to take your advice and make notes. Not sure if I would do anything differently if I made this mix again, overall it seemed just about right for my tastes, but I would like to get more into stuff like you're doing (ciders, fruit beers, my own mixes, etc.) where notes will be key I think.

I gotta look up this kegorator thing. Keg fridge is it? I suppose bottling into a keg is just as easy as bottling into bottles? Mix the fermented beer with some sugar source, transfer to a sterile keg, and screw the top on?!?

Yay for beer! lol
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote