Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarding going out of fashion
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
IdahoFreshies
Land of the Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Yeah, I understand this, but if Jonny Gapeass is the hope of the industry, snowboarding is in some trouble.

When I was growing up (early to mid 90's) not one kid in my neighborhood didn't have a snowboard. We didn't ride resorts, we rode backyards, prep school hills, and golf courses. Now, nobody does. My son's going on 11 and he doesn't know anyone else in his grade that snowboards, affluent or not (quite a few ski). With all the second hand gear out there you'd think access to snowboarding would be easier than ever. You can get $100 board/binding/boot set ups all over craigslist. As a kid from a working class family who grew up on used (and relatively high priced) gear this would have been a dream. If poor = core, kids should be snowboarding every hill in the area, stealing street signs to jib up at the prep school. The spots that use to draw huge snowboard crowds every day after school when I was growing up now don't have a snowboarder in sight. Snowboard culture is suffering. And if Jonny Gapeass is going to be the face of the brand, I'm not sure too many people are going to follow.
I gotta say, you and BA are throwing out very compelling arguments from both sides here.

But I think I have to agree with the dwindling snowboard percentage. Im seeing it in the form of less people taking snowboarding lessons, and hearing what the trends are doing from the managers at the ski school. Last week we had a school night (schools from the valley come up to the hill) and there were 65 beginner skiiers and 29 beginner snowboarders. My manager was saying how 2 or 3 years ago that number would have been flipped, and that snowboard, specifically lessons, just keep going down.

I would also attribute that to snowboarding being harder, snowboarders start later (ski school starts at liek 3 or 4 where board school starts at 7) and parents are starting their kids out on skis because that is what the older generation does. And since skiing is cool too with those tall tees and twin tips and park riding kids are stoked to stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
do they even make chaps with asses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I think they call them pants
IdahoFreshies is offline   Reply With Quote