Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboarding going out of fashion
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyCH View Post
What I see happening is no one markets to people like me that take up the sport in middle age. There are a lot of us, people whose kids have grown, or at least are old enough to enjoy the hill also. Go ahead and make fun of us older folks because we know we are never going to be a pro, and just cruise groomers because it's fun.

Oh well, I could go on but no one listens to me anyway...skate n destroy fools
There is a market for CORE geezers,...arcteryx, sled, cat, heli...but they are also getting pfs or have the cash and don't need it. However regular geezers....due to our experience of families and bills, we are rather savvy buyers. We may or not have more disposable income but I'd suspect we want functional quality more than bling shit. I'm a cheap sob and rarely buy anything new let alone at full msrp. However being a geezer does allow more choice via awareness/experience to pick, choose and spend less. This past summer I got the shit bc kit, all the tools and even an airbag...now I anticipate not spending much for quite a few years...beyond a season pass and could even forgo that and just hike and would only be buying gas.

Anyway besides the economy, less time/money, sedentary lifestyle trend....there is also less snow. Thus the scarcity factor is in play. I could safely say that, if I lived 3 hours away from the hill I would only go a few times a year if at all.

Snowboard vs skiers....it should be inclusive...with fatty twin free ski it's just a matter of preference. Skiers imho do have a better platform and equipment for all terrain and conditions except for deep poo but the fatties have nullified that snow condition. Yes skiing equip cost more and easier to learn but sb is less of an entry fee. Over the past 10 years I've seen both ebb and flow. Perhaps what is new is that us geezer boarders are getting older and there are more of us.

Thus we who take up the sport later are probably not going to buy highend shit because we won't use its capacity, but more so we value the experience of just being on the hill instead of having all the latest and greatest shit. At least for myself and the snowboard industry is not making much or any money off me.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 01-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote