Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Utah trip in March
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
silverwhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by neednsnow View Post
Know that there is a bit of a driving distance between all three of those, but I think you're getting quite a good cross-section of the Utah Experience, for sure. Snowbasin and Snowbird are my favs. I haven't hit Solitude, but Imma be on it in March!

As far as difficulty........just avoid "extreme" terrain and you'll be fine. There are some crazy off-the-cuff shizz you can hit in Utah, you'll want to avoid that. But the Big open bowls that are "blacks" or the gladed runs....you'll be fine if the snow is fresh. If not, eh, good luck.

As for deep pow. It is a work-out, but so fun! Four suggestions. 1 Bring your biggest board. 2 Set/Move your bindings way back on Pow days 3. Lean BacK! Nose-dives suck, but the float on white fluffy fluff is just yummy. 4. Keep your speed. Obviously avoid rocks and trees and cliffs, but speed helps you float over the snow better. If you are afraid of falling.....no worries, it is fresh soft snow! =)

After SOlitude, hit the Cotton Bottom Inn for a burger. After Snowbasin, find the Shooting Star Saloon.
Thanks! I only have one board, so not much of a choice for that. It's supposed to be ok in powder though, camber/rocker combo so probably better than my last board (camber only). I am definitely planning to set back my bindings as much as I can, would it be a problem to just leave them like that even on days without powder? I might be skipping the burger unless it's veggie lol, but I appreciate the suggestions!

Also, I know this isn't a skiing forum, but if anyone has some expertise ... my dad has really old skis, they are super long (I guess that's how they used to size them) but pretty narrow (definitely not powder skis). Will he be fine with them or is it worth looking into rentals? Planning one backcountry day, but it's with a guide since we don't know the area, and they supply skis. Other than that we will just be at the actual resort hills.
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote