Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Vancouver 12-13 Season

66K views 664 replies 46 participants last post by  destroy 
#1 ·
Might as well start dreaming early.

It's June 23rd and this summer is shit. Let's skip this wimpy summer and give us back the winter. :laugh:

Booya!

#520 ·
Any reports on cypress conditions today, is the new snow light enough or is it heavy wet powcrete?
Yesterday as it was falling around 4-5:00 it was pretty heavy, but that's by my Alberta standards! Some of it actually felt light when I picked it up and played with it. Pacing snow fell in the morning, and that switched to something I wasn't able to pack easily in the late afternoon.

Although the weather network says it's raining up there now, so who knows!?! :dunno:

#537 ·
Yeah, we were both up there today. Except for some specific runs that Poutanen or I wanted to hit multiple times, we were able to try something different on each run -- and still didn't get all the runs on Brockton.

The snow was crap, tho'. Wet heavy stuff covered by a melted/frozen crust. I kept burying my edge, then my face. :dizzy:

Great day though. I find I like getting pushed outside my comfort zone. And keeping up with Eurocarver there is definitely pushing it. :D

#542 ·
At least you will have the mountain to yourself. Its Australia Day today so everyone is going to be hung-the-fuck-over tomorrow.

There isn't really going to be the 'stashes of powder' that make it worthwhile searching. Not sure what the weather is meant to be tomorrow but its been really nice on the mountain. I like Crystal Chair, it's a bit old (hence the new upgrade) but there are some fun runs. Check out the Glacier and 7th Heaven, some awesome views and a few nice runs, peak to peak over and take the Peak chair and down to Big Red via Upper peak to creak and onto Highway 86. Back up Big Red and over to Harmony.

That will show you the majority of the two mountains and you will be able to see where else you want to explore.

PM me your number and if I'm not too hungover I'll shoot you a message and show you around.

#545 ·
It was a great day on Seymour today. Crowds not as bad as usual -- apparently people stay home when it's snowing :blink: . Foggy but not pea soup, and the snow kept up all day. By mid-morning there was enough accumulating in out-of-the-way places to start giving that riding-on-butter feeling. Only downside is they had Unicorn still closed off from the competitions yesterday.

I spent the entire friggin' day doing jumps. Speaking of which, I think I owe Snowolf a thank-you for his advice. :thumbsup:

#546 ·
Cypress was great too, although they definitely didn't stay home. It was pretty busy in spots but still good. Perma-single life always gets me through the fast track. Rode a few off of Raven Ridge for a bit since there were no lines at all there and I don't think I've ridden it since the very first time I ever went to Cypress years ago. Mountain definitely is in some of the best shape it's been all season with lots of stuff open to hit. Was gonna attempt learning switch today but just ripped hard on the new bindings I copped last night and enjoyed all the fresh. Not the deep powder I've gotten used to the past few weeks up north, but our mountains are great when there's freshies, and I kinda think I prefer it. Plus modern high speed chairs are great. Oh yeah, and it not being -28° is nice as well ;) Lots of friendly folks today too. Chatted up a few cool moms with their kids who appreciated my great life advice for their children :D

Bet Whistler was sick. Perfect day to pick for an out of towner. :eek:ccasion14:

#547 ·
Bet Whistler was sick. Perfect day to pick for an out of towner. :eek:ccasion14:
It was no bad at all, busy at the bottom and some of the main lifts, fog until about half way up. There was a lot of chewed up stuff and crust though too. Found some great steep gladed runs and actually found a nice 60 degree frozen ice sheet! (not run ice, but possibly a frozen waterfall) actually scared the shit out of myself for once! I'll post pics soon... :D

#551 ·
No Dave Murray?
No, it was really flat light all day so no high speed runs. Also I was fighting a bit of a hangover! :dizzy:

Where was that?

Sorry I didn't ride today. Woke up at 11am hungover as hell, said 'screw this' rolled over and woke up before work at 9pm haha
No worries, I probably should have done the same thing! The ice waterfall was on an unmarked trail. We entered under the Big Red Express, between Jimmy's Joker and the Pony Trail. I saw untouched powder from the lift and knew I had to get on it! Entered the forrest and ended up on top of this ice sheet. Looked at the pics again last night and I think it was closer to 60 degrees! :blink:

The view from above, I was holding the phone pointing almost straight down at this point:

A little steeper than usual:

The garden of eden waiting for me at the bottom! And a relatively easy 35 degree slope:

#556 ·
Hey, I need an answer to a question that has probably been asked a million times but I can't find it when I search. My buddy and I are staying at Whistler for a few nights the end of Feb and I want to know if the 7-Eleven's sell multi-day tickets or single day tickets. If they sell only single day tickets, is it only for that day, or can I buy like 3 single day tickets to get us through our 3 days of riding? This is all assuming that 7-eleven is still the cheapest way to buy lift tickets.

#557 ·
7-11 (any in the Vancouver area) sells single day tickets good any time that season as far as I know. So you can buy 3 and just use them when you get up there. Not sure if the edge card works out to be marginally cheaper for 3 days. There's also the University option but it seems like they have very limited hours that they're open...

Google "cheap whistler tickets" and there's a website with all the math already worked out for you! :yahoo:

#559 ·
Yeah I just walked into a 7-eleven in downtown Vancouver and asked for an adult whistler lift ticket, and the girl knew what was going on. Pretty seamless process. When they scan it first thing in the morning it registers for that day and then would be void any day after methinks.

#561 · (Edited)
Cypress anyone?

On Friday I went riding with a dude who is an instructor, he's nothing special:dunno:, I crush em:giggle::bowdown:.
He's fuckin' hilarious though, he wears an all green outfit with a green weed bandana, rides a green Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles board. Hard to miss!

But he took me as far out of bounds as you can go off Skychair without gettin' fucked in the ass!!!

After that 1st run, every time we all went in there, we all just started bombing in different directions. Each time I was able to come out right @ the cat track.

& boy oh boy, it's fuckin' amazing in there, huge old growth trees spaced out perfectly 20-30 feet apart, cliffs a plenty & some 80-89 degree pitches. All out of the reach of 99% of the general public.

I'm gonna try & get some pics for you guys to beat off too:giggle::D

TT

#566 ·
New jump line in Young Guns

Woo hoooo!

Seymour park crew put a whole jump line in Young Guns -- beginner/intemediate -- beside the holy-cow-big stuff that's always been there. The line is a 20' jump, a quarter-pipe, a roller, two small (15 foot?) jumps and a table-top. Spent the whole morning on it. Unfortunately pea-soup fog moved in around noon, but it was great until then.

#567 ·
Woo hoooo!

Seymour park crew put a whole jump line in Young Guns -- beginner/intemediate -- beside the holy-cow-big stuff that's always been there. The line is a 20' jump, a quarter-pipe, a roller, two small (15 foot?) jumps and a table-top. Spent the whole morning on it. Unfortunately pea-soup fog moved in around noon, but it was great until then.
Good to hear now i just need to kick this Bronchitis so I can ride!!! Been waiting for some more progressive terrain at Seymour!!

#570 ·
Wow, what a day yesterday:yahoo::eusa_clap:

I'd have to say that was THE best day snowboarding, I've ever had in my entire life.:bowdown:

I now know, there is no place on Cypress that you can't go.
Never again will I have to search for powder.

Got there for opening hoping I would have first tracks on a cloudless day.
Not so much, it must have cleared up enough Thur night for all of it to get chewed up.
Now it was a bit foggy with light flurries.
Really disappointing.

Did one run & it sucked, got a bit of pow but basically nothin'. So I went on the hunt. Didn't have anyone with me, so I only had to worry about myself.

I went in the most treacherous place you can go & to my amazement, it was phenomenal:yahoo: No one goes in there & for good reason.
It has jaw dropping terrain, rollers ranging from huge to 30 foot cliffs.
A whole lotta cliffs & staircases, the whole thing is just so fuckin' steep, that everything is a jump. There are more cliffs in this one little area than all the rest of Cypress combined.
I need to borrow someones helmet cam, you guys need to see this.

The blizzard from last week brought a tonne of snow, but because of the high winds, some exposed places had none or very little.

Those winds didn't affect where I was, the huge old growth trees killed the wind. It was so deeeep, were talking 2-3+ feet.
If it hadn't been that deep, I probably wouldn't/couldn't have gone in there:dunno:

This shit is no joke, I couldn't even get a single person to come in there with me.
I asked a few guys that I thought would be up for it.
Told them it was some pretty crazy shit, most of them were cocky & laughed.
They all said yes, but when we got to the entrance. You should have seen their faces when they had to eat humble pie:giggle:

That's when I realized I could go anywhere, what I had been doing all day is without a doubt the hairiest terrain @ Cypress.
It's not even considered a run, it's "Danger permanently closed area"

From that point on, I just started jumping over the out-of-bounds fences:thumbsup:
It was so dark & cold in there, powder should last days after it's dead & gone everywhere else.

Then @ roughly 6:30 I was talking to some chick who was using the air-bag, she said it was free all weekend.
What, what, holy shit, I booked it down & signed the waiver.

With all the recent snow the big kicker had less of a kick, but overall you went way bigger than any other time I had used it.
Combine that with the speed you could generate, holy shit.

I was doing the hugest laid out back flips, so big, they had to ask me to slow down my in-run because I was almost landing on the back bumper.

Stayed till closing:blink: 13 hours of riding:bowdown:

By far the best fuckin' day ever!!!:eusa_clap:

#571 ·
Wow, what a day yesterday

I'd have to say that was THE best day snowboarding, I've ever had in my entire life.

I now know, there is no place on Cypress that you can't go.
Never again will I have to search for powder.

Got there for opening hoping I would have first tracks on a cloudless day.
Not so much, it must have cleared up enough Thur night for all of it to get chewed up.
Now it was a bit foggy with light flurries.
Really disappointing.

Did one run & it sucked, got a bit of pow but basically nothin'. So I went on the hunt. Didn't have anyone with me, so I only had to worry about myself.

I went in the most treacherous place you can go & to my amazement, it was phenomenal:yahoo: No one goes in there & for good reason.
It has jaw dropping terrain, rollers ranging from huge to 30 foot cliffs.
A whole lotta cliffs & staircases, the whole thing is just so fuckin' steep, that everything is a jump. There are more cliffs in this one little area than all the rest of Cypress combined.
I need to borrow someones helmet cam, you guys need to see this.

The blizzard from last week brought a tonne of snow, but because of the high winds, some exposed places had none or very little.

Those winds didn't affect where I was, the huge old growth trees killed the wind. It was so deeeep, were talking 2-3+ feet.
If it hadn't been that deep, I probably wouldn't/couldn't have gone in there:dunno:

This shit is no joke, I couldn't even get a single person to come in there with me.
I asked a few guys that I thought would be up for it.
Told them it was some pretty crazy shit, most of them were cocky & laughed.
They all said yes, but when we got to the entrance. You should have seen their faces when they had to eat humble pie:giggle:

That's when I realized I could go anywhere, what I had been doing all day is without a doubt the hairiest terrain @ Cypress.
It's not even considered a run, it's "Danger permanently closed area"

From that point on, I just started jumping over the out-of-bounds fences:thumbsup:
It was so dark & cold in there, powder should last days after it's dead & gone everywhere else.

Then @ roughly 6:30 I was talking to some chick who was using the air-bag, she said it was free all weekend.
What, what, holy shit, I booked it down & signed the waiver.

With all the recent snow the big kicker had less of a kick, but overall you went way bigger than any other time I had used it.
Combine that with the speed you could generate, holy shit.

I was doing the hugest laid out back flips, so big, they had to ask me to slow down my in-run because I was almost landing on the back bumper.

Stayed till closing:blink: 13 hours of riding:bowdown:

By far the best fuckin' day ever!!!

We got first chair at Cypress Thurs am after the wed dump.....I have to say this would rate in the top 5 pow days I have had in my life time!!!! OB was spectacular....at one point my son turned to me with pow half way up his thigh and said, "Dad, this is what its all about isnt it?" as he continued to use the bent over snow covered trees as jumps only to land in untracked pow.....I damn new shed a tear:D I hope he catches up on his school work he missed that day:laugh:

Gotta love the annual Feb snow dump on the North Shore hills...Life is good!!!!:yahoo:

#572 ·
I am heading to Vancouver in 18 days!! I moved to Ontario from BC for university and I still haven't moved back :(. I was living on the island so I don't know much about Vancouver. I was hoping to go to some of the local mountains. Is there public transit that I can take to them since I won't have a car with me? Also, anyone want to ride with me? My bf will be working during the week and my other friends either don't ski/board or just had surgery. So I wont have anyone to go with!

I will be going to Whistler on March 3rd as well!

Side note, I just got a Never Summer Infinity. I rode it yesterday for the first time. AMAZING!! Such a huge step up from my Burton Lux...

#574 ·
I could possibly ride with you? :hope::eek:ccasion14:

Your bf will be @ work, will he:eusa_clap:.....Mwa ha ha ha:yahoo:

I'm only fuckin' whit chya:unsure:

March 3rd just happens to be my B-day too!

TT

#573 ·
Grouse is about the only one you can transit to, though Seymour and cypress do have shuttles.

I head up to whistler every weekend, so you're (or anyone else for that matter) welcome to tag along whenever. It's nice to have someone else in the car to make the drive less boring, and riding buddy's = trees!

#575 ·
Fuck, I'm jealous. Haven't been in weeks now! Hopefully I get to go tomorrow night.

On the other hand, the hard work I put in to school is paying off. Signing with an agent next week hopefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.