Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Burton Restricted Mission bindings - bad ratchets?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Extremo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo_dom View Post
Thanks for the response (even if it was mainly for AssasinMonLV). As for the twisting of the hand, I spent some time looking at the angles of the teeth vs the ladder strap. It might be hard to see from the picture i put up, but it was off at an angle compared to the strap sleeve. In order for it to have any traction, i actually had to twist it the other way, while applying a fair amount of pressure to the front of the ratchet. Simply applying pressure straight down was not enough.

But the shop assistant agreed with me, and he had a very hard time ratcheting it down as well, which is why it is off for warranty repairs at the moment. Its a pity that they werent one of the privileged shops to get spare parts, because now i am left hoping they can get the binding back before the weekend.

Spare parts aren't going to solve this issue. This this is just a function of the Burton design. I currently own 2 sets of these straps and they both do the same thing. Same with my Flux, although less so than the Burton. I also owned a set of Technine Team bindings in which this problem was much worse.

What happens is as you ratchet the toe strap the cap tightens and conforms to the toe of the boot. This creates a misalignment of the ratchet and ladder (or tongue as its referred to by BurtonBindings), and thus you have the skipping. So you can't really ever get them as tight as you can a Union, Ride, or Raiden toe strap because the more you tighten the burton cap the more out of alignment it becomes. Flux's design is better and as long as you keep the cap in alignment (which I find is relatively easy) you can tighten it all the way without any skipping.

You don't find this problem with Union, Ride, or Raiden, regardless of which position the strap is in, probably because they don't use a true cap as burton does and thus doesn't have the same twisting effect that this type of cap creates.

Another problem is the burton ratchets are quicker to release, they have a longer lever and it pivots and lifts easier than a Union or Ride ratchet design, which adds to this problem.

This is my personal experience with the ratchets. I understand others may have had better experiences and no problems at all.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote