Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board question about the camber/rocker combinations out there
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
grafta
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome to the site.

Can offer some ideas, from myself and from what people I ride with (that have more experience than me) say about camber vs rocker vs alt cambers/mixed rocker/camber etc in regards to jumps and freeriding.

Jumping-wise you probably don't want anything too washy. Kinda rules out straight-up rocker... so you either got straight camber or rocker/camber combo left to choose.

Camber is least washy and has most pop. I know a guy who still rides camber and loves it. He also pops biggest of anyone i ride with. Cant think what his deck is but its from last season. Imo camber grips best on hardpack too.

Another friend of mine that jumps a lot went through a couple boards after changing from camber, found rocker too washy not stable for jumps. Rode a Yes camrock deck and liked it. Has camber between bindings and rocker at the tips. He now rides a Forum double dog, i pretty sure it's rocker between bindings with camber out at the ends, like a neversummer. He's keen to grab a second of the same deck so i'd take that as he likes it.

My 2cents: I learned on a stiff camber board and had my ass kicked plenty catching edges etc. When i could ride decent I got a neversummer evo and found it super playful, still pretty stable but really forgiving of landing wrong. I feel like i get away with quite a bit i wouldn't on a camber deck. Its fun to press and fool around on too.

Hope that helps. There's a good stickied thread at top of the boards section too.

For what it's worth, i'd say hybrid tech is fun but don't rule out camber. It has it's place imo
grafta is offline   Reply With Quote