Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Rent a splitboard?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gauntlet09 
#1 ·
My buddy and I are each looking for a splitboard to rent for a day tour in the Kootenay Rockies near Creston, BC on Saturday February 2nd, 2013. There aren't any shops in the area (greater Spokane region) that rent them.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm just throwing out a feeler hoping someone on here might be able to help us get our hands on a couple of splits so we don't have to snowshoe up with our boards on our backs.

#6 ·
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Kootenay Pass is actually where we're going. Unfortunately I'll be traveling with a group and we probably won't have time to get up to Nelson...though I could just ditch the group and go to Whitewater. Maybe my favorite mountain, and I haven't been there since before they put in the Glory Ridge chair.

#7 ·
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Kootenay Pass is actually where we're going. Unfortunately I'll be traveling with a group and we probably won't have time to get up to Nelson...though I could just ditch the group and go to Whitewater. Maybe my favorite mountain, and I haven't been there since before they put in the Glory Ridge chair.
Well if you do hit me up! Glory chair is the shit!

#8 ·
Well, we never did find any splitboards to use. We did however find a couple pairs of approach skis to rent. They were similar to these Approach skis, backcountry snowboard | MTNApproach System except they didn't collapse, and they didn't have heel elevators :thumbsdown:

It wasn't the ideal setup, and I'm not even sure that it was any better than using snowshoes (as it's been about 12 years since either of us had toured w/snowshoes). But it did give us some experience with skinning. I imagine it would've been a better experience if they had heel elevators. Also the skis were shorter (125cm & 145cm) and the permanently attached skins didn't even cover the whole length, so we didn't "stick" quite as well on some of the steeper stuff as the skiers in our group.

Long story short, I think we're hooked and will be saving $$$ for our new expensive hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.