Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Neversummer SL without rocker?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
danmkiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I was talking shop with the guys and one real benefit to rocker from what I gather is that these things are nearly catch proof which is going to make learning on one a lot easier I would imagine. If this is essentaily true, something that came to my mind is that if a person learns on a rocker, will they develope riding habits that are going to make riding a standard cambered board difficult for them? Is it a bit like learning to drive with an automatic and never learning to drive a stick?
This is my fear...that this style of riding will not only take getting use to for me, but once I adjust on a reverse camber board, will it be difficult for me to go back?

I have heard the auto vs. stick analogy, and I am the type that drives stick. I don't like it done for me. I really just need to try one of these boards to see for myself because I have a feeling I will be pleasantly surprised after a few runs. Especially with the NS SL. The benefits seem to vastly outweigh a conventionaly cambered board.

Sometimes on a conventionally cambered board I feel like I always have to be "on top of it" in certain conditions...I'm constantly putting small inputs to correct catching an edge (even going straight --->chatter). An inexperienced rider can get pwned if they don't watch it with the edges...my feeling is that this technology will reduce the amount of effort required to ride. I feel like I will not get worn out riding as easily on a rocker board. Is this a good thing? Well, I don't want to take away all the difficulty in snowboarding - yet it would be nice to eliminate some things like chatter and board instability . One thing I do NOT want to feel is wishy washy. Sometimes I hear people saying that rocker boards have a mind of thier own. I don't believe I can go wrong with the new NS SL...everyone raves about them.