Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - How to go fast without catching edges?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
BigmountainVMD
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why we were doing it, other than to work on approaches for straight-airs and boxes... but we never actually worked on that stuff. We were working on nose rolls, but that was kind of separate.

Now that I think of it, we may have been talking about doing ollies over rollers or debris on the trail, and some people (level 1 remember) were not comfortable getting flat while traversing... but it just seemed like the message was more than just "you need to be flat to ollie over stuff." It was more of a "you don't have to carve ALL the time."

@ jlm --> It was a few years back, so I can't pull a name out. I know he was talking about being on some sort of AASI freestyle team and I know he was a snowboard coach at an academy somewhere. Maybe Gould Academy by Sunday River in Maine? He was awesome though and really opened our eyes to the world of snowboard instructing, especially since most of our skills were taught by a somewhat narrow-minded hard booter. One of the most memorable bits of enlightenment was how we all thought you needed a "stiffer all mountain/freeride board" to carve crazy lines (even I was rocking a hard-booter stance at the time) and he carved circles around us on his super short, flimsy park stick. Best part was when we got to the lift, he stopped to show us how he keeps his bindings so loose, he actually had an inch of travel between boot and binding.

As for the low angle stuff, we WERE doing a lengthy bump lesson one of the days, so maybe it was prep for that. I hated bumps before that lesson and after 20 minutes with that guy I was feeling super confident.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 01-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote