Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Mark McMorris throwing some shade Shaun White's way
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
lisevolution
Veteran Member

to get back to snowboarding and not WWE or UFC, Shaun White got as famous as he did because he was totally dominant in every competition he entered, Pipe, Slope and even Big Air as a young kid at the right time. It was revolutionary at that point for someone his age to be so dominant in a sport. Similar to Travis Pastrana in freestyle motocross.

If McMorris is able to do more than just do slope style or big air events he could maybe gain the same level of recognition but I doubt it because now it's not that rare. He isn't that young and he isn't consistently better than everyone else when he rides.

People slam SW and I understand why but there is definitely a reason he got to where he is. He may be a douche, he may get extra credit etc. but you tell me when you watch the pipe competition if there's anyone who even comes close to going as big as he does with the tricks he throws down. Before Pearce and Davis got hurt they were closing that gap but since then nobody is really close.

Personally I think he's super overexposed and I wish he'd just retire from competition like Craig Kelly or Terje did by the time they got close to this level of exposure but unfortunately that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote