Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #2790 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
I'm not arguing against your (and Leo's) point about a jump line but like I told him, it's apples and oranges because our original convo was about a single jump, not a jump line. I concede that each jump line is going to have it's own nuance and speed checks could absolutely be needed.

My point was only about a single jump. I have ZERO experience hitting a line.

This all started because I told him that you're better off finding out where your drop in is rather than doing a number of speed checks because then every time you hit that jump you're going to have to remember to get those same speed checks in. You're better off knowing where you should actually drop than relying on multiple checks leading up to your hit.

...and then of course on that very run I take my own advice and shit all over it and launch myself into next season. FML lol

Or just drop in real high and make the appropriate speed checks. It's not necessarily about making the exact same speed checks but knowing your board/speed/feel well enough to make the *right* speed checks and a good setup turn on to the lip, no matter where you drop from. Same result

You do have a point but like you said it's limited to one jump and that's it, after which you need to worry about speed checking.

The drop zone is a good starter tool and that's why the "watch where others drop and follow their line" method is always preached to beginners in the park. It is easy to emulate, and it works for the most part. But after you get good at that, the next step in your progression is to be able to gauge your speed and check as circumstances dictate (which as the tape shows, is not advice that I followed...)
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote