Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #2790 (permalink)
sabatoa
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
Or just drop in real high and make the appropriate speed checks. It's not necessarily about making the exact same speed checks but knowing your board/speed/feel well enough to make the *right* speed checks and a good setup turn on to the lip, no matter where you drop from. Same result

You do have a point but like you said it's limited to one jump and that's it, after which you need to worry about speed checking.

The drop zone is a good starter tool and that's why the "watch where others drop and follow their line" method is always preached to beginners in the park. It is easy to emulate, and it works for the most part. But after you get good at that, the next step in your progression is to be able to gauge your speed and check as circumstances dictate (which as the tape shows, is not advice that I followed...)
I don't disagree with this. Leo and I were hitting a booter at Shanty, it was at the bottom of the run. I didn't come to a complete stop at the area I knew was the drop. I used the speed check method as I got to that point.

I was firmly still in the beginner category so it really helped me learn the right speeds using the drop zone method.

I think Leo ended the debate saying that we were both right...and then called me a stiff dick on a board or something.

lol

You doing OEB tomorrow? Jackie coming?
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote