Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Spins Help
Thread: Spins Help
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
Jed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
OP
"I've been trying to do spins lately, and things havent been going well. I know how to do them, I just can't. I seem to freeze up while in the air, or can't finish the turn. This happens a lot when I try to 180 off boxes and such (even though I can easily just air to fakie on the snow), but I can more or less control the 180. Any tips? "

The "off jump" part is something we just got sidetracted from. But this is what he's asking and I answered him with the 2 ways of doing it. He already can do a 180 so he's not very far from an "advanced 180" whatever that means.

And btw, I myself learned to couter-rotate 180's on flat ground WAY before rotating. Why may you ask would I use this "ADVANCED 180" first? Because it was FAST and didn't require a lot of air time AND, like you empasize, I can STOP my 180 without reverting. *I* felt the regular rotated 180 required a bit of timing and even energy to pop when learning and it was really hard for me to get it all the way arround...and when I did, I tend to "spin out" a lot and maybe catch an edge while I was at it. ESPECIALLY when I was going fast or whatever, I never used a rotated 180. At least not in the beginning until I got better with the timing.
I swear you have to be trolling right now.

He's trying to 180 off a box, not 180 onto and off a box. In his case he wants to be using rotation not counter-rotation.

We're saying it's an advanced technique because when people like you learn counter-rotation as their method for doing 180s, it messes up their riding and they start using the wrong rotations for the wrong uses, which is exactly what you're doing now.

Just because you decided to learn it the wrong way and ruin your technique because you gave up learning them the proper way (that scales easily into 360s and beyond) doesn't mean you should be advising people to follow in your footsteps.

FYI, you say progression isn't set in stone, but you haven't progressed. Show me a video of your riding and how your amazing learning method of counter-rotated 180s (without learning proper rotation first) has easily let you progress into your super smooth 360s and 540s and I'll believe you.

When every single park rider with experience explains that spins should be learnt a certain way to make progression easy and you come in with a lack of experience in park and say "Nope, I'm right because I do it this way" it makes you look ridiculous.

Last edited by Jed; 01-26-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Jed is offline   Reply With Quote