Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - To wear or not to wear a Helm?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #141 (permalink)
jennifer

This is my very first season. I bought a helmet and wear it on the bunny hill. There are a few reasons.

My daughter is 7. She is in her second ski season. I make her wear a helmet, and I try very hard not to be a hypocrite. So if I want her to wear one and think its cool I need to wear one. She has a seperate helmet for her biking, skating, scootering. It is my job to protect her...and if that means me putting on a helmet with her then so be it.

I am a mom. I can not risk not being there for her as she grows up. So if I am going to do something risky I need to take every precaution I can.

Last weekend I had a nasty fall that involved flipping several times and tumling. It was scary. Even more scary was how bad my head hurt and how dizzy I was after hitting my head. I was on any icy bunny hill...not like I was out there on a diamond run.

My husband does not wear a helmet. He never has. Been boarding for 20 years, and on skis before that. I don't nag him. It is his life. I have told him I would prefer that he wear one, but I left it at that. I am not his mother. It is a choice. I can think your choice is stupid all I want...but I am not going to advocate taking that choice away from you.

I DO think it is pretty damn stupid to sit there and say that you are never going to have an accident because you can control all the things that cause accidents. Obviously you have already sustained some sort of brain damage if you really think that. Kind of like someone saying they dont need a condom with a hooker because they can totally tell that the chick is clean....and can totally pull out so there is no way she can get knocked up. It is the shit you dont see that can kill you.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote