Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Building your own house
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Thanks guys. Yeah I see myself doing about 40% of the work on the house myself. Looking at one of the pre-fab home builders in the area. You spec the structure you want, they design it including engineered drawings, build it at their facility, and either truck it in pieces or as one unit depending on the options.

Torpedo, I'm thinking of doing a bit of a modern design, but not going crazy on material costs. The concrete counters I will do myself so they'll actually be cheaper than quartz or marble.

Work I'm planning to sub-out:
- foundation forming and pouring
- main structure from one supplier
- HVAC
- plumbing (may do this myself also)
- drywall mudding/taping
- kitchen cabinets

Work I'm planning to do myself:
- pre-grading, septic excavation and backfill
- electrical
- drywall hanging
- flooring
- tile/concrete in bathrooms/showers
- roofing

Luckily if the trades are really bad around here, I can steal some portugese guys from work for a month in the winter and they'll have the house built for me in no time! Everything on my list of things to do I've done before, and half of the sub-out list.

The piece of land I'm looking at is really nice (for me) it's about 4 acres just outside the city. Not excessively priced, already serviced, etc. Similar pieces of land in the area with 2000 sq ft homes on them sell for $600-$800k and up. I think I can build one including the land for $500k. Gotta start working on a proper estimate!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote