Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Building your own house
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I'll come up and put the roof on for ya for the price of beer and lodging (I know what I'm doing too).
Sweet! I brew my own beer now so I'll have some ready lol... And the Yank will be much appreciated. Was thinking about possibly going with metal roofing instead. But the house will be in tornado/hail alley so not sure that's the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Check local laws regarding electrical work.

In QC I could not do anything related to electrical in a new building. You need to be a licensed electrician, even to run the wires...
Laws?!? Luckily I have a buddy who's a licensed electrician. I'll do all the work and he can come over and check it for me.

As for the unexpected: what's a reasonable percentage of margin to add into my own bid? When I did my basement in Ontario I did the estimate in excel, then as I purchased things/service I put the actual prices in. Can't remember for sure but I think it was within 10% of estimate.

Also, anyone have experience with building mortgages? I'd either need a bridge mortgage while I built, and lived in my current house, or rent an apartment for 6 months while it's being built. Dunno...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote