Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Neversummer Lotus: My Wife Hated It :(
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
fatbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMichigan View Post

What do you guys think?

So, I read every review, asked on this forum and elsewhere, and last year bought my wife a Neversummer Lotus 151 to replace her well-aged 1995 Burton Custom 151. She rode it on one trip last year out to Whistler (which had lots of powder), and road it in our local downhill ski race slalom league (more of a beer league). We just got back from Jackson Hole. She road the Lotus for about 3 hours, decided she couldn't find an edge on the hybrid rocker board, so we went to the local shop and she rented a demo board for the rest of the trip (no fresh snow, all packed powder and groomer corduroy). She rented a Lamar Holy Moly II 155 (it was the shorted woman's camber board they had). She really liked it and rode the heck out of it on all sorts of blues/double-blues/blacks around JH on it.

She mostly rides groomers, and is 5'7", 115 lbs, size 10 womens boot. We get maybe one good week of skiing out west per year, so that limits the number of days to adapt.

I don't know what to make of it. She hated this super duper board. I think if she had given it more time she could have got used to the reverse camber, but she didn't want to. She thought it got squirrly at high speeds when trying to hold edges or carving. This sounds like a fairly common reaction.

So, should I sell this board and get her something else, or convince her to try it again?
You say your wife has size 10US size boots? My opinion is that the board is too narrow at just 235mm waist width. Most women's boards have smaller waist widths as women tend to have smaller feet. Likely to feel unstable at speed and likely to loose edge grip through toe/heel drag.

Another reason your wife doesn't get on with the board maybe technique. If she doesn't move her weight along the length of the board she won't drive in and out of the turns. The Never Summer RC tech places camber at either end of the board so you need to move your weight to the nose of the board (fore movement) to drive the start of the turn and towards the tail (aft movement) once the board has crossed the fall line to drive the end of the turn. Get this right and the snap from the tail should set you up for the fore movement to start the next turn.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote