Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Flow Binding 2013 Q & A

170K views 573 replies 110 participants last post by  dexter 
#1 ·
Hi,

2013 will be our 18th year selling Flow, so this puts a big smile on my face. Minds will be blown this year. The new line is so full of tech and options that I thought a Q & A might be in order. This year almost everything in the binding line has been reworked from the ground up. The Flow team has been torture testing variation after variation of these new designs for two years and has finally put their stamp of approval on the final product. Fire away if you have any Q's. We will be sure to get you quick answers.

See less See more
#340 ·
Lonerider here is how I set mine up everytime and all the Flows I've owned and has worked for me everytime

• Loosen power strap ratchets and fold down high back
  • step into binding and close highback
  • tighten powerstrap closest to ankle then the toe section
  • lock the ratchets I think you still have the locks on the 13's, Pull up on the ratchet and then lock them this will keep the ratchets from tightening on you.

I would stick with larges as this will still give you some room if you have a boot with a larger footprint or bulky type boot, IMO

#341 ·
An update about my ratchets. It took three calls and well over a week but I finally got a response to my warranty claim. They looked at my video and said that that was not normal. I now have a full new set of ratchets on their way. Here's hoping mine were just a crazy fluke and I get to really enjoy my bindings.

#347 ·
it has been done

I used all the NX2 hardware the only modification was using a 21/64 drill bit to enlarge the hole on the toe ladders. there is some slop in the heal ladders that could turn in to issue over time.

Also I got the NXT strap off of eBay just search for Flow strap and it will come up

Here's hoping mine were just a crazy fluke and I get to really enjoy my bindings.
Not a one off fluke realized my SE do the same once I took it off the binding, so I checked my AT and thankfully they do not.

#343 ·
That is the perfect size for you. The problem you are having is dry rubber sticking to dry rubber. Just the minor moisture from the slightest bit of snow lubes the system and will allow you much easier access even when the settings are tighter than in your vid. You do not want Large.

#344 ·
Thanks... yea, I typically always believe in sizing down in gear if I'm borderline (I can use Burton small bindings often). Anyways... how do the final settings I have with the Flow look? Is that typically what most people set it too? To be safe, I took out all the forward lean, but I think I'm going to move it back to the "middle setting" now.

#358 ·
Hi guys,

i did read almost all of the Flow postings here; and got lil confused

have boots size 8, (Salomon Synapse Boa), and want to get new bindings NX2-SE - was thinking for size Large, and now im confused -should i get Mediums ??
I tested Salomon size 9 in store with this binding, and dont think there was noticeble space in between...

(my Salomon size 8 measure 4.5 inch at the largest part...)

what would you advice?

thanks

#359 ·
Hi Longin, I wear a size 8 boot and I have the NX2 SEs in size L.Been riding at Whistler for the past 2 weeks - No issues with loose space or not being snug. These bindings are ridiculous....freaking love them. The toe strap seems loose when you kick in but no noticeable effect and once you lock the high back all is good to go.

#361 ·
Lonerider I now have the same issue with my ratchets !!!! I'm not sure when I checked mine for you if I did just the ankle strap or both. Now my toe strap tigthens on its own, not happy !!! I called Flow but they are closed on weekends. I will take them tomy guys shop and see if he can just make it happen.
Will keep you posted

#362 ·
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that you are having these tightening issues. I can tell you that the lock on the ratchet does reduce movement considereably (guessing about 90%), but if pressed very firmly, it will still move. This is true on all of them.

Please help me understand what pressure is causing the strap to tighten. I am not getting that myself.

#364 ·
The lock feature on the ratchet essentially is a cam which, when closed, pressures the ladder strap firmly. I am sure that in designing it Flow had to balance ease of opening the lock (to allow free ratcheting) and the amount of closed resistance that the lock would provide. It seems that they have come up with a pretty good first shot at it, but possibly there is room to tweak the balance.

I have played with the bindings a LOT after reading about this and have tried to re-create the issue but I am not understanding what force would occur during riding that would tighten the mechanism. Let me know and i will be sure to test it and bring it to Flow's attention. Best yet, please post up a video if that is possible.

#367 ·
1 - The force would be putting the board in a gondola slot where the bindings would be pushed against the glass.

2- while skating along I have seen some people step on their binding caps.

3- in transport other boards could be place on top of them.

4- taking your board off and taking a break whil leaving back on it like a chair back....

I ride the gondolas here about 30% of the time and have not had this happen. I also don't ever step on my rear bindding while skating.

#366 ·
So after 25 days of riding my flow nx2-se, I am finally having a problem. I have the black and green color way. The black foam ha is on the high back has fallen off. I still rode 8-10 laps this morning without it bu I can feen my boot slide a bit on the super smooth plastic that is under the foam. I emailed flow so let's see how they handle it. I did however drop them at my LBS that we got them at and he is going to do a repair until flow sends us a replacement.

Aside from this they have been my favorite bindings ever....

I tried to strap in traditionally the other day, it works but is a little awkward..... Guess I'm used to the easy step in mode.

#371 ·
I'm about to go nuclear on Flow. This morning I got an email saying they are shipping out today. It was last Tuesday that the guy at Flow warranty said he was sending out new ratchets. Since when is 6 days equal to tomorrow? Now I probably won't have the new ratchets in time for my trip this weekend. It could even mean they are going to be sitting on my porch the entire weekend, ripe for the taking, if they don't fit my mail box.

#376 ·
Got my new ratchets in.
First they were the wrong color and two different colors at that. Another strike on Flows customer service but I will get that resolved.
Second they did lock better then my first ratchets. Over the course of about 12 hours of riding this weekend they only moved 4-5 times. Compared to a few times an hour for the other ones. The bad is that that is still 4-5 times more then my NXT ratchets did over the course of a whole winter.

This is seriously pissing me off. What good are new features if they negate the feature that make the things work in the first place. Flow uses the fit being consistent as a strong selling point and that simply isn't true with these.

I'm hoping this gets fixed for next year's models and I can get some of those ratchets with my warranty before it runs out.

#378 ·
Yeah I can't help but agree.

Dude you are the only one with this issue. Your first ratchets sure as hell did look like they werent locking right. But I'm riding samples right now and havent had a single slip issue and to my knowledge they havent changed the ratchet at all. I havent had a single pair I sold come back for this issue and anyone I've asked on mountain hasnt had this issue.

Maybe try skating foot behind the board instead of in front?

#380 ·
Whats funny is that ever time I have stepped on my strap is when they haven't moved. But I almost never step on the strap which is why I check them after. I do skate with foot behind the board. I'm not the only person to have this issue. I treat these Flows no different then my previous Flows that I had zero issues with.

#382 ·
I figured out what the problem is with the ratchets not locking completely secure. The ladder strap isn't thick enough. Even while locked the ladder strap is thin enough to allow the ratchet teeth to move up about half the height of the strap teeth. I just tried using a spacer made from some cardboard under the strap and it now locks as good as my NXT ratchets do. I'm going to find some adhesive vinyl to line the underside of the ladder straps to fix the issue.

Wiredsports, since you have direct contact with Flow I'm hoping you can make them aware of what I found so they can fix it.

#385 ·
Woke up early enough for a few laps before work to test the duct tape on the ladder, and it did hold very well I did notice one time my foot hit the toe strap while skating but it didn’t move at all. Later in the month will be the real test when I take the kids skiing to see if they were the reason I would find the LSR unlocked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.