Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Where do YOU like to spend your money the most?

8K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  South2Snow 
#1 ·
Ideally, we'd all be buying about equipment in the same range, but I'm sure there's always certain places we all like to spend extra.

Whether you love to rock the $600 gore-tex jacket from some obscure russian brand, but couldn't care less if you were wearing jeans, or a $300 pair of goggles but enjoy frostbitten fingers, we all have little nitpicks.

I really love high end gloves and pants. Don't care much for fancy helmets or jackets.

Relatively, I would spend the most money on boots, then bindings, then board.

#2 ·
I don't like spending money anywhere. I have too little of it to begin with :p

But since I love snowboarding and really want to get better at it, I've made some effort (and an investment):

So far my jacket is turning out to be the most expensive piece of gear I got. Followed by the board (which I got on a deal), the goggles (needed a pair badly and fast before my 1st time out), the pants and bindings were really close (got last year's bindings also on a deal, way below MSRP) - and I haven't gotten the boots yet. Oh and my gloves were super-cheap, not even worth mentioning. And socks were even cheaper. That's it!

#3 ·
I don't like to spend money anywhere, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I ride an expensive board, but didn't pay full price for it, expensive bindings and boots, but didn't pay full price for them.

On the other hand my jacket is a 10 year old Planet Earth, my pants were on sale for $35 last spring, my low light goggles were $40, and I think I paid about $90 for my helmet. My goretex gloves were on sale this summer for $25.

Where I don't mind spending is being able to ride. Bought $1300 season passes this year that get me out to 5 mountains. Three of them are some of the most sought after places to ride. No point in paying a shitload for gear if you're not getting out there on it! :yahoo:

#31 ·
That.

This season I indulged in a new GoreTex shell (Patagonia) but got all my other stuff 50% to 70% off during summer sales in the past 3 years. I paid the A-Frame $158 ( $600 new). The Hovercraft $250 here on the forum and the CINCH CTXs $150 as well The only thing I'm always buying early is my Kirkwood pass, and new AS tires every 2 seasons.

#8 ·
I purchase expensive gear; board, bindings boots, clothing, etc. But after years of my primary extreme sport, paintball...which has drained me for thousands, even the most expensive snowboarding gear doesn't really seem expensive.
Still though I save when I can. Like buying hardgoods at the end of the season when its 30-40% off.

#13 ·
AMEN!!!! My wife and kids go visit my sister in Florida every October. My sister always asks me why I don't come with them. I told my sister to move to the mountains ans she will never get me to leave.
for my personal travel needs if it is not below 32 degrees F and lift accessed, I a don't care to go.

Hell, fot that matter, I have began training so I have the fitness to hike it if I need to!

#10 ·
I always try and get the best gear that I can at the lowest price. Whether that's buying the same model one or two years old on Ebay or just waiting till the end of the season to get the sweet discounts. Whiskey Militia and SAC are kick ass places if you need something not necessarily right away. Just got another decent pair of gloves for $10. There is now way you can get anything that cheap on ebay or through discounts. I personally would spend the most money on: snowboard, boots, bindings, pants, jacket, helmet/goggles, gloves. Respectively.

#11 ·
Gear slut

Yea Im a bit of a gear whore
But I still try and save when I see a deal

Board $549- Trice Pro HP.. website messed up so I got 2013 for non HP price
Bindings $200 - Burton C60 - bought the year old model at the time to save money
Jackets - $120 Burton something, $120 Special Blend Circa(store closing sale)
Pants - $80 I dont remeber the name, $60 end of season sale on some other brand
Goggles - $120 - Oakley Tanner Hall Rasta Lions - bought last years to save some dough
Backpack- $40 Burton bag of some sale
Gloves - $20 from theclymb.com
Board bag - $80 from the theclymb.com

so I guess Board is where I splurged

#14 ·
Typically in a given season I'll drop whatever coin I need to on the piece of gear that needs to be replaced. I seem to be on a cycle where I only actually need one thing a season. That being said this year I dropped serious money on everything including: a board (Kessler Ride) I didn't need and bindings (Raiden Machine) for the board I didn't need.

The stuff I actually needed to replace: bindings (broke them last season and rode the season out on Frankenbindings) picked up 2012s preseason on sale, and goggles (lenses on the old ones were finally beat and needed to be replaced) also on sale preseason.

#33 ·
We can all have preferences, but my nephew's instructor once told me that the most important gear is boots, goggles, and helmet. I think that's true, as you're not gonna have fun if your feet hurt, you can't see, or you have a head injury.

More to the point, I think there are a lot of good boards, bindings, and outerwear out there. Honestly, after reading about decks and bindings a lot the past year, I'm pretty encouraged by the quality available and all the different characteristics that companies are focusing on. I'm guilty of overanalyzing my gear purchases, but even I can admit that if you do your research, are buying from a reputable brand, and not going for the cheapest option, you are usually getting quality equipment, and it's more about riding style and the corresponding design nuances.

#28 ·
If I'm looking for a board set up, definitely more on the bindings. Since riding is more about style and since I have a set up...I'd spend the most of jackets. You can buy basic, but not low quality pants in black, tan, and camo. You can wear endless jackets in either, matching is NOT a requirement! Goggles, I have Oakleys but once again, you can buy endless frames. I have a polarized grey and fire iridium frames, but nothing really for night riding. Thats the great thing, no one looks alike. It's all about your own style and thats half the fun.

#30 ·
I try to spend as little money as possible on everything, while still buying quality stuff. This year I bought new everything except boots. New goggles, helmet, jacket, gloves, pants, balaclava, bindings (ended up buying two actually), board (ended up buying two of these as well), and board bag. I didn't pay more than 50% of MSRP for any of this equipment (with the exception of the second board and bindings) as it's all last years models and I bought them all during the summer.

That being said, currently the highest priced item in my setup is my second board, which is about $200 more than my second highest priced item, my first board.

Long story short, I seem to spend the most on boards simply because they cost the most. (Though I am currently rocking a $500 jacket I got for $150, so at full price that would give my boards a run for their money).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.