Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First snowboarding trip was kinda rough

7K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  k8xp 
#1 · (Edited)
I feel like I got ran over by a truck.

The ski lift was the worst. I couldn't lift up my board with one foot, so it was being dragged, hurt my ankle BAD. Nick had to help me lift up my board each time... Then, getting off, fell almost immediately 2 out of 3 times. Again ripping my left ankle off me practically.

Actually rode pretty well, minus turning and stopping. When I wanted to stop I made myself fall, lol but only one fall was bad. Landed on the back of my head and goggles flew off, got wet, couldn't get them dry/couldn't get up cause they were too f-ing blurry. Took off gloves to help clear them, inside of gloves got wet... etc! Needless to say, I was not a happy girl after I FINALLY made it to the bottom. What do you guys do if the inside of your goggles get wet, keep something in your pocket?

I feel more prepared for next time. Know I need something waterproof to cover my neck and face, plus glove liners. Need a few tips from you guys, then will take a lesson and be set : )
And here is my beginner setup. Salomon Lotus 138/ K2 Yeah Yeah bindings/ ThirtyTwo boots/Morrow mirrored goggles.

See less See more
#5 ·
If you're standing there with the lift coming around for you to sit on put your free foot up next to your back binding and just sit down on the lift chair. Keep the tip up with your front foot and once you're away you can put your free foot behind your bound foot or use the heelcup of the back binding to sort of shove the toe of your boot in to rest the board.

#6 ·
It was snowing really hard so couldn't ride down the mountain without goggles
: ( totally sucked. I really did not like trying to ride when it was snowing at all. Prob have to get used to it.

@Treegreen ok thanks I'll try that next time.

#8 · (Edited)
If you just beat the snow out by hitting them on your leg or board they'll clear up. Just put them on and wait a couple mins, it'll clear up enough to get down.

Muscle memory will take care of your chairlift woes, If your chairlift has a bar with footrests take advantage of it! putting your other foot under the board helps too. Snowboarding uses a lot of muscles you don't use on a daily basis, that's why you're sore.. it's not just the falling.

Search for SnoWolf's threads for beginners and watch his vids - I feel like you need to practice skating and get a feel for your edges before you ride the chairlift up. Search "SnowProfessor" on YouTube too, kinda corny but good info. A Lesson would be key for sure!

Just go a lot, you'll learn faster than you think.

#12 ·
get smith goggles...which ever model will fit your face....but get the blue sensor mirror lens. Its the standard for pnw snow, flat light, fog and puke.

sounds about right for the first day...get some lessons or find someone other than your bf to help you out on the small things...like skating, falling, how to get up, on/off the lift, how to tie-up your boots, how to strap-in with out sitting. these little things add up

#13 ·
For sure. He taught me a good way to get up. He has only been once before so isn't much ahead, but I do need formal lessons. Definitely when I'm back from vaca we'll go back ASAP : D

I think it was my third or fourth run, got off the lift smoothly, didn't fall, strapped in while standing, and rode down halfway smoothly. Buuut then that's when my luck ran out and I ate shit and got all pissed off haha. Almost had it!

#14 ·
I also have trouble with the chairlift so you're not alone! It's my first season and I feel like such a pro doing my little linked turns on blues only to faceplant straight off the chairlift 1/5 of the time. And then I need to do the quick scuttle of shame to get out of the way. :(

Do you by any chance have short legs? I'm short and have short legs for my height so when it's time to get off the lift sometimes I can't even reach the ground. I have to hop a little to get off and occasionally the board points in an unanticipated direction, I overcorrect, and then down I go. Maybe try a stomp pad to see if that helps? That's what I'm about to do because I figure extra traction can only help.

#15 ·
Reassuring I'm not alone, but we needa get this down! :laugh: I have a stomp pad. It kinda only helped while skating when I decided to put my foot up and cruise, but not while hopping down. I think I fall cause the transition is too sudden and I don't prepare quick enough. I'm about 5"2 with long legs lol.

One thing that did kinda help was holding onto the lift bar when I touched ground. I held on until somewhat balanced. But that only worked when I got balanced fast enough it didn't move out of my reach on it's own.

#16 ·
When you're almost at the dismount for the lift, sit sideways and have your board pointed straight.

Wait for the chair to bring you to the ramp of the dismount, don't get off too early or you'll be in the flat spot. Once you're at the ramp of the dismount, get up and push off the chair with your hands making sure your unstrapped foot gets onto the inside of your binding so you don't get your leg caught under the chair.

You can also push off with the free foot but using your arms to push off the chair should be enough.

Final tip is to go straight! Don't try to go sideways and slow down too early, that's what will make you fall. The further away from the chair when you fall, the better. That way you don't get in the way of the next chair. Just remember to get that initial push! If you're just being shoved by the chair, it'll just throw your balance. It may seem scary and counter intuitive at first but going slow is worse than going fast. Speed is your friend.

#21 · (Edited)
This is how it should look,.. (..I knew these "gapper" GoPro vid's of mine early in my riding would come in handy!!!) ;)

Watch how I positiion myself in the chair in prep for getting my board pointed straight and how I keep one hand on the lift chair to steady myself & push off. (be sure to hold on to the chair back when getting in position so you can't fall off early! That would REALLY suck!!) :)

[late edit]
...Ahh, I see somebody beat me to this with a MUCH better instructional vid! :laugh: :eusa_clap:
Oh, I might also add, that although my riding has progressed rapidly and I don't do a lot of falling on the slopes. ALL my recent injuries have been getting off the freakin' lifts!!! :rolleyes::RantExplode::eusa_clap::icon_scratch:
You are definitely NOT alone!!!

#17 ·
You're going through the same learning curve that everyone goes through, whether boarding or skiing or backpacking or mountain-biking or whatever. There are strategies for handling the various issues you're going to run into, and you have to learn those strategies. For instance, I always bring two pairs of gloves and two sets of goggles. One gets too wet, use the other. I have a different strategy for supporting my board with the Flow bindings vs the board with the 390s. You'll get used to a particular way to get on the lift and to get off the lift (which BTW nearly everyone has trouble with).

It sucks, and it makes you want to scream curse words at the top of your lungs. But it'll get better.

#22 ·
Bad skateboarding falls, and BMX bails from back in the day seem way worse than what I'm feeling today. Although my ankle hurts and I'm extremely sore, it's better than massive road rash and blood everywhere.

I see what I am doing wrong with the lift. I turn sideways, point board tip up and straight, but I don't put my right foot near the stomp pad until my board hits the snow. I rush to place it, so maybe it makes me forget to keep my stance and balance :dunno:

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I feel like lifts are a snowboarder's worst nightmare! I'm not sure why supporting your board hurt your ankle... maybe try a lighter board? :dunno:

Anyway, I feel like I got the lift stuff down, but I've only been out 5 days, so watch me screw it all up next time! :laugh: This is what I do (and a lot of it is what Consonantal just said):

I actually sit a bit sideways on the lift chair when I get on and point my board straight, keeping the nose slightly up. This requires that I twist my body/ankle a little bit but seems to work. When getting off, I prepare by sitting kinda sideways again and pointing my board. And I actually put my back foot next to the back binding before I ever get off. After that it's just a matter of sitting up properly and looking straight ahead, that usually gets me off in one piece.

This video explains what I just said, it might help you with that pesky lift:
How to Snowboard: Step 5 - Riding the Chairlift - YouTube

Taking lessons is probably the best choice you can make in the beginning. Since your bf isn't that experienced, he might benefit from one too ;)

And you are surely not alone! I became a master of the faceplant on my second day of riding (and lessons) :laugh:

Edit: blah, video embedding didn't work for me.

#27 ·
You are definitely not alone. As others have said, just about everyone goes through this. It's tough and takes some getting used to. After awhile it's all just muscle memory.

It's good to see you have the right attitude about it though. You are excited to go and try again and conquer that stupid chair! :laugh: You should see a marked improvement over the next couple of times you go. Just hang in there.

I had a buddy of mine go with me when I was a teenager and his board got caught as he was getting on the lift. He was stuck and it just dragged him until it lifted up a little and then he just fell off. He was incredibly embarrassed and sat in the lodge the rest of the day. He doesn't snowboard now. :dunno:

#28 ·
Ok... Yeah getting caught on the lift, falling off, or getting ran over with it would be bad. I watched some fail videos before I went up

If I would have gone by myself then I may have been embarrassed cause not many people were falling as much as I was. Glad I had my newbie Man-Child with me lmfao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.