Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Union Binding Disc Shattered

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Gdog42 
#1 ·
I have a pair of Union Charger bindings which I bought brand new a couple of months ago. I used them three days ago first time and today the binding disc of the front foot shattered while I was going downhill. On inspection, the rear disc also develops cracks.

Does anyone have any problem with Union binding discs before? Or is it just me unlucky?

I put a Burton disc into the Union binding and it looks it fits. Does anyone have experience replacing the Union discs with Burton's?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Please give us a call at 206.632.1601 and ask for warranty. You will be sent a new set of disks today.

I'll send you a PM, just to make sure you see this.

Question - Did you put Loctite on your screws? If so, it sounds like you got some on the disk. That stuff turns nylon into dust.

If not, then I don't know what to tell you. We haven't had a disk break this year that I know of. Either way, we will replace it today. I always suggest picking up the phone and calling. It's the fastest and best way to take care of everything.

If you live outside of the US, go to this page and contact your local distributor. Info & Distribution | UNION BINDING CO. 2012/ 2013

Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience!

#4 ·
Do not put Burton Discs or any other brands discs into your Union bindings unless they're made by Union.
You're putting yourself at a pretty serious risk by mixing brands disc and baseplates.
They are NOT compatible parts.

The guys at Union or your local Union shop will help you get them fixed.

#7 ·
I am still waiting for their warranty department to reply my emails. Except for the initial contact that I received as PM here, I haven't heard from them since. So what's going on here?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Did you call the number that was posted? That's what they suggested you do. No where in there did it say to email. Or did you try the live chat on their website like Extremo suggested? If all you did was email, you didn't do enough.

#13 ·
I have indicated to union inhouse that I am in Japan this for another several weeks and email is the only way to communicate. He gave me an email to contact and then everyone disappears. Seems that it is my fault that something I bought breaks on me!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
As for the cause of the problem, it sounds like you might have overtightened the screws.

On my first board, I mounted the bindings using a power drill! :laugh:

The disks didn't break though, because I had the drill on a really low torque setting. If you did the same and had it on a high setting, you could have overtightened them too much, which would make them much more prone to breakage.

After realizing that I could have been overtightening them, I've just been using a Dakine Torque Driver tool to mount the bindings. I can get the screws as tight as they need without overtightening them because I can feel where they stop in the threads.

So if you did use a drill like I once did, don't do it anymore. Tighten them by hand instead. That's how they supposed to be tightened.

If you didn't use a power tool to mount them then I have no clue what went wrong.

Hopefully you'll contact C3 soon and get some new disks on the way. I have had a defective part once and called C3 about it on the telecommunications device. They immediately sent me a replacement in the same color absolutely free. Got here in less than a week and haven't had any problems. Love those guys. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.