Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #450 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
i never made it to that avy class the other week cause of work but i would like to start getting into some of that stuff this season. any suggestions into what i would need/learn?
If you can put aside the (and you should) time, taking a Level 1 avalanche course is the best way to go. A level I goes over decision making skills in avalanche terrain. There are a few guys out of summit county who offer this course. No matter what, at some time you are going to want to take this course.

Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper is pretty much a mandatory read. I call it a Level I in a book. For the most part it's an entertaining and easy read.

Of course you need to have the gear. Beacon, shovel, probe, a mode of bc travel, and a pack to carry your basics. Then finding knowledgeable partners always helps. You can get out with others who are not experienced if you have learned the basics, but it makes the learning curve much slower. Getting out with some vets, lets you see skills put to practice and usually means better times out there.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote