Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Tahoe Advice please
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
RichnNorcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
I'm from Connecticut...it was -4 when we arrived at Mt. Snow last Sunday! That's what I love about Tahoe. On many of my trips there I've ridden in just a hoodie and t-shirt. And the sky is either blue or dumping snow. On our last trip, it snowed for four days non-stop. Dumped about 4-5 feet of snow. Us easterners don't know how to deal with that shit! But man, it was fun.

The funniest thing is, I grew up surfing in Florida. Florida surfers were considered kooks out west (except, Kelly Slater is an old friend and an East Coast surfer who did okay). Anyway, when I first went to Tahoe about eight years ago, I thought it would be a similar vibe. We went in January, and there wasn't much snow yet. They just had a small snow storm, only about 6". We were amazed that the mountains were empty. Hardly anyone out...the locals kept apologizing to us for the horrible conditions. Are you kidding?! Horrible? We had fresh powder! Then they'd find out we ride Vermont. Many said that we were the real hard core...they're all used to perfect conditions, but us Vermont riders are warriors because we can ride anything. True dat.
Too funny, I also moved from back east to So Cal and learned to Surf in the OC. Most of the time at Newport or Huntington Beach. I learned to surf on a single fin, but I did get to surf Mexico, Bali & Australia, courtesy of the United States Navy. I've never surfed in Florida, closest I got was Virginia Beach, since I was there for a Navy school. Never forgot how the line-up was zoo'd out at Jetty. My friend in Navy was surfer from Galveston, TX, said he also knew Slates and that Surfers from TX get not respect, LOL. By the way he really wanted to kill peps in the line-up, for cutting him off or mad dogging him! You VT guys are definitely hard core. Seems like if you're a Pro from VT., move to Mammoth mountain, like Danny K, Kelly, etc, etc. By the way I don't live near the Ocean anymore and its 2hrs Santa Cruz, so that's why I surf the snow with my Hovercraft. and wakeboard during the summer. Wake hurts more when you eat it! Nothing like going from 22 mph to 0 in a blink of an eye...
RichnNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote