Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - gen. maintenance tips
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #132 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

Default factory wax jobs are rolled on!! not hotwaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
From what I know, new boards come pre-waxed already. So you should be fine for a couple of days. It also depends on what conditions you are riding and the temp of the snow.

My Rome Agent came pre-waxed, but the first time out was in mount hood during May, the snow was very rough and sticky and it ate through the wax in the first couple hours. For the next the Snowolf had to put some black summer wax which lasted much longer and gave the board a better feeling.
I recommend hot scraping to remove the factory wax (or use solvent sparingly if you must,and be sure allow it to fully evaporate) before applying a fresh hot wax. Most snowboard factorys only roll on a wax layer and its kind of a joke.. some of the higher end offering may have a genuine hot wax but I suggest you remove the factory wax job and apply some fresh stuff....when your base becomes dry it will be obvious that it needs wax..soo when somebodys asks how often should I wax my board this all depends on on how and where you ride...ie snow conditions humdidity temperature etc.. its diff for every rider..a dry base is obvious unless you are sightless... just pay attention and take care of your base.... it worth it..when in doubt? hot srcape and apply the fresh!!