Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - First snowboarding trip was kinda rough
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #41 (permalink)
john doe
Veteran Member

Here's a first day experience for you. Got frustrated on what would be my last run. About 50ft from the bottom I just flat based it. I of coarse took of then caught my heel edge. I flew through the air face up and head first. Hit my head hard enough that I had to force myself to not pass out. As I come about my wits I go to release my bindings and realize my right arm won't move. Never went to the hospital but I'm pretty sure I broke my collar bone. My friend drove us back to his place because I drove in my 5-speed manual. I then drove home using my left hand to shift. Luckily this was a skill I already had from years of driving for a living. It took over a month to feel OK, almost year to be able to do a push up, and I still can't throw a football with out hurting it. 4 years later I'm still doing this idiotic sport and loving every second of it.

Oddly I never had trouble with getting off the lift. I always just stood evenly on the board, relaxed, and rode it out. Certainly check out all of Snowolf's videos and Free Learn to Snowboard Videos | SnowProfessor is what helped me the most in my technique.

By the way, if you ever mess up your ankle and need to drive home then here is what you do. Move the seat up then place the clutch pedal directly under your ankle. Not on the ball of your foot like normal. That will let you move the clutch with out really using your ankle. Once moving you can just float the gears like truckers do. Harder on a gas car but not unreasonable to do.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote