Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Do You Find "Reviews" Helpful?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Incogneato

Default Do You Find "Reviews" Helpful?

I have been on many forums for many years and i have always been a little mistified by snowboard reviews(or gear reviews in general)

To me they always seem to be very general, full of semi nonsense terms and phrases and not really useful. The whole thing is so subjective and you don't really know if the poster even knows what they are talking about. You can take a board such as the jamie lynn which is generally considered a stiff aggressive board and find reviews that is seemed "soft and playful". Conversely you will find people who say things like the rome artifact was "surprisingly stiff".

Also, what were the conditions it was used in? was the rider on familiar terrain? did they have their correct stance? were they using their bindings? how much time did they spend with the board? what boards have they rode in the past? how much do they ride? what do they weight? how aggressive are they?

was it a demo board? (frequently very soft due to many many hours of use) can you subjectively compare things like "pop" and "edgehold" if the two boards aren't ridden back to back in the same conditions in the same area?

my point is its highly subjective. every new board i get is always my favorite board and its rare i ride a board i don't like. in hindsight i can realize that i like a 160 uninc much more than a 160 rome agent (after owning them both) but does that mean the rome agent sucks? by no means, i just prefer the uninc.

a major indication that most reviews are worhtless is the wide variation in answers you will get if someone asks a question about certian boards like the banana. some people will rave about it, others will call it crap? who is right? well both of them, really. it can go either way depending on your , experience, preference, and maybe even how they rider was feeling that day

so i'm just curious if anyone on here has actually found any snowboard reviews actually helpful?
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote