Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Never Summer's...what's the story??
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #120 (permalink)
EatRideSleep
Veteran Member

My reply was kicked out when the thread got locked. Although posts since have taken a different direction since, I'm still going to add it for what it's worth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK93 View Post
Yeah if I could go back and delete my post--I would
I think what you were saying is that you found his attire to be unprofessional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
Why? I agree with your post. The guy shouldn't have been wearing a shirt like that while representing the company.
That's how I see it.

Like it or not, appearances MATTER in business. It doesn't so much matter (to me, at least) that the shirt was religious or not, it's that it wasn't professional. Would anyone feel secure in doing business with, say a lawyer, if they walked into the office for a consult to find him in a tank top and old jeans? Probably not so much. Sucks, but it's a valid reality.

As a business owner, I am acutely aware how my appearance influences not only potential clients, but existing clientele as well. Frankly, I could wear whatever I please. My business, my rules. And I am damn good at what I do.

However. I am sensitive to the fact that my clients and target market will base their perception of me AND my work based (in part) on my appearance. What I wear in my personal time is different from what I wear when representing my business. Granted, my industry is "stuffy" compared to the snowboarding industry but still.

Bottom line: I'm a walking advertisement for my company. I refuse to do a shotty ad.

Oh - and when I've been at industry related events OR helping out another professional - similar to a tent volunteer as mentioned in this thread - I still maintain my professional image. It's a representation of myself and the other pro.

As for the big announcement, as long as being a neversummer owner is not a requirement for being a member here, I don't have much of a problem with it I find it to be a bit odd atm, but we'll see how it goes.

I DO appreciate how companies like Rome, Union, WiredSport, Burton(bindings), and NS (vince) are active here on the forum, however