Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Building your own house
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by budderbear View Post
This ass hat wanna be foreman will be lucky if it don't fall apart after a few years - but yes most "illegals" get paid hourly, and 3 stand around watching the 4th work.
Yeah, there's trouble with both sides. Piece work is how most big builders pay their subs here, and it encourages them to rush through the jobs and cut corners. I'd have to combat that with very specific details of expected quality in the contract. Hourly can get you a much better product, but you've got to be on their ass so they don't cost you a mint!

I've found with 90% of things I've done, that I can do a better job, for much cheaper than paying somebody else to do it, unfortunately it takes me longer (as I have to have the learning curve at the beginning).

I think the two ways around this are:

1) sub out the work that'll take me the longest to do on my own (i.e. drywall mudding, plumbing, window installation, basement forming)

2) higher general labour to help me on stuff I do on my own, I can install flooring bloody fast if I don't have to keep running to get it, or install drywall while the grunts carry it in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
de-rail...fucking insane...never again...hand stripped my 1918 and brushed 2 primer, 2 tops in 3 colors
Looks good though! In hindsight, how would you do it differently? On that celica I'm restoring I know a few people that have stripped the entire chassis and had them media blasted and painted, then they start from scratch. Seems like LESS work in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie View Post
The bathroom was demoed down to the studs.
That... looks... goooooooooooooood...

Going to studs is the only way to do it. I remodeled my moms bathroom after she also suffered water damage. I ended up doing it all for around $1000 including new floor, tub surround, vanity, toilet, faucets, etc., but it was a pain. Would have been much easier to rib it all out and start from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Here's my floorplan, breaking ground in a few weeks
Landmark eh? Sorry I'm an internets sluth. I have my ways. Looks good!

I'm still unsure of if/how to proceed, so we're going to take it really slow and explore all our options. The thought of having a decent trailer/modular on the side of the property to start and then building does take some of the scariness away though. If time goes over you're not stuck with two mortgages, rent, etc.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote