Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Need help deciding on a woman's snowboard for myself!
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Varza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordiechick View Post
Why is a smaller board better? Is a longer board good for speed?

That's a pretty good deal for bindings, but I'm from Canada so shipping is $50. Americans are so lucky, you can buy almost anything online with free shipping.
I'm far from an expert at this, but I'll try to answer. The pros will correct me if I'm wrong.

Longer boards are better for speed and stability (maybe). People who want to bomb down the slopes will likely go for a longer, stiffer board.

Shorter boards are easier to maneuver (i.e. turn even though your turns may be sloppy. It's actually the stiff boards that are more responsive, but one of those might throw you right off if you make the slightest mistake). Newbs like me would go for a shorter, softer board as it is more forgiving. Park riders also prefer shorter and softer boards.

Oh and I just realized I did a stupid right there. I did not know your weight, so I replied on board length based on your height. That's really the wrong way to go about it - board length is determined by rider's weight and pretty much all companies have charts for that. I was subconsciously thinking you'd be close to my weight, which was dumb. So, I'm 140 lbs. and went for a 146 board. If you're heavier, go longer, if you're lighter, go shorter.

I feel you! Shipping to Canada is a killer, I had to ship a computer there once
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote