Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Scared of going fast!!!

35K views 93 replies 37 participants last post by  jdang307 
#1 ·
Help..... I have been boarding a few years now and think I have reasonable technique in turns and carving etc. problem is a am a naturally cautious person and always think what could happen in a given situation etc.

Problems my girlfriend filmed me at my local fridge today and I was shocked how slow I looked, although technique was solid.

What's the best way of letting the brakes off and gaining speed and confidence?

Thanks

Neil

#2 · (Edited)
How often do you ride? I has issues here for many years... but it eventually just went away. There is always room for improvement obviously, but I feel like I can keep up with everyone that I consider to be fairly good snowboarders. I'm quite a cautious person. Always the guy to think first... jumps later.

I've been riding for almost a decade, but the first 6 or 7 years I was only going 10 to 15 times per season. In the last 3 years I have been on the hill around 200 days, and my skills have increased much much more, including going much faster, hitting big jumps, cliff drops and boxes (I am deathly afraid of hitting anything but the short, wide, flat ones).

And btw, video often makes it look like you are going slower than it feels when you are out there. What looks like 10 or 15 mph could actually be 25 or 30 in real life.

Also, don't let anyone come on here and tell you it's your board. It's not.

On another note, if you are carving and bringing your board all the way across the hill, you will bleed off a lot of speed. By opening your turns and pointing your board more downhill, you will go faster. You don't need to straightline it, just know that the more your board is pointed across the fall line, the slower you will go. S turns vs. ~ turns...

#15 ·
Speed is subjective and without seeing you ride and seeing at what speed you get spooked, it is hard to give accurate advice. For all we know, you might be riding at 40 MPH but are scared to hit 50. Most people would say that your fear in this scenario is not unusual or inappropriate. Now if you are afraid to go fast enough to maintain a solid carve, then yes, that is something you need to work on.

Now depending on the speed we are talking about and the snow conditions, yes your board absolutely can and does make a difference. Try bombing a bumpy icy run at 50 MPH on park noodle versus doing it on stiff, damp free ride board; huge difference and this difference will translate into your confidence to go fast.
My words in regards to the board not making a difference were based on a conclusion I had jumped to. I assumed the OP was meandering down intermediate runs making big S turns and losing a lot of speed in the process. That's just how I took his description. In that aspect, no board will give you confidence to point it and scream down the hill. However if you have that confidence and find yourself scared by what it feels like going that fast, then yes, a new, more stiff board may help. I am highly inclined to believe the former, and as such I believe the confidence would come from more riding and just trying to push yourself on a daily basis. A nice pair of ass pads surely won't hurt either!

#3 ·
:D

You have the opposite problem as me. The truth is hauling ass is fun but unless you are using great techniques it's not too useful in progression. I would recommend first to not give a shit about how fast you looked in the video and just continue going the speed you've been going if you've been having fun. Remember the goal is fun not speed. Now that being said if you still have the need to fly just gradually start pointing your board more and making much longer faster turns...the trick is to do this so gradually you barely notice...slow progression is the best progression. Just B-lining crazy shit like I like to do occasionally is just for kicks and is a little crazy but just hauling ass with good technique and proper edge control is what snowboarding is all about.

#4 ·
"slow progression is the best progression" very nicely said.

just have fun. figure out what it is that scares you about going fast and start slowly de-sensitizing yourself to it.

also I'd like to point out that going fast does not equate to having fun. if you're having fun all this time then just keep doing what you're doing, nobody cares how fast you're going if you have a smile at the end of the day.

#5 · (Edited)
I used to be kinda slow, too. I got over it because luckily the 2 guys I usually snowboard with like to bomb it down runs. The only way I could keep up wth them was to throw my fear to the ground and go balls-out fast.

Sure, I caught an edge a couple of times but the falls aren't really much worse than they are when going slow. I've actually realized now that I'm much more likely to catch an edge when I'm going slow because I'm in way more control at higher speeds. I've fallen a lot more often when going slow than when going fast, so speeding up more actually turned out to be beneficial.

Ride with some friends of about the same skill and challenge yourself to get down the run before they do. Or just see someone who's pretty fast and try to do the same. This will naturally increase you speed.
It also helps to carve less and stay on one edge for longer before rocking to the other, while going in a straight line if you're clear.

I know it worked for me because now I'm calmly just as fast as they are and once I've even out-ridden a ski patrol guy who was pissed at me for strapping in on the lift! :giggle:

But Like the guys above said, no one really cares and you should just have fun. Speed doesn't really matter unless you're trying to keep up or get away from someone.

#6 ·
"just have fun. figure out what it is that scares you about going fast and start slowly de-sensitizing yourself to it.

also I'd like to point out that going fast does not equate to having fun. if you're having fun all this time then just keep doing what you're doing, nobody cares how fast you're going if you have a smile at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

Well said, that smile's important, too much speed has wiped that beautiful smile right off my face a few memorable times.

#7 · (Edited)
I have the same problem. I'm usually the slower one in the pack. I had a fall and broke my tail home my first week snowboarding a couple of years back so in icy conditions, especially on cat tracks I meet ppl at the lift so I can go my own pace as i really get sketched out.
Sometimes though I just feel unstable at high speeds, Like if someone cut me off I could not stop. I don't like it.

I have two boards, my new reg camber feels better than my hybrid for speed. I know I need to work on getting on a cleaner toe edge,but don't know how to without turning.

Looking about 3 turns ahead has helped (when it's not a whiteout or flat light)

#8 ·
Speed is subjective and without seeing you ride and seeing at what speed you get spooked, it is hard to give accurate advice...

...In general however, speed comes naturally with confidence. When you feel in control, you will have the confidence to go faster within reason. Do you have any control issues that give you reason to lack confidence at speed?

Now depending on the speed we are talking about and the snow conditions, yes your board absolutely can and does make a difference. Try bombing a bumpy icy run at 50 MPH on park noodle versus doing it on stiff, damp free ride board; huge difference and this difference will translate into your confidence to go fast.

Snow conditions also make a difference. I slow down on hard, churned up icy crud but will point it in powder or on fresh groomed corduroy.
Part of speed control is also common sense so keep in mind that just because someone else may be bombing a run, you might just be riding responsibly to ride in control.
It was very cool to read this today,.. I just got back from 3 days up north & the conditions were pretty good, although it was good hard-packed powder with 3-5 inches of fresh being added on top, it was very bumpy & cut up as hell. I thought I was riding it pretty damn fast on both the Arbor & the RGR! Both boards handled it really well,.. That is until they ran a couple groomers down the runs after dark on Sat. night!

They put down about two strips of fresh corduroy down each of the Black diamonds,.. (...yes, these were at least decent black runs!) I got going S-O-O-O-O fast that I scared the livin' shit outta myself. I kept thinking that the Rome was never gonna hold the turns at these speeds, but in the fresh groomers it bit in really sweet! I know I never went that fast down ANY blue or black run I've been on before!!

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! I kept following the groomers to each of the Back & Blue runs they were working and just FLYING down them! After the first run, I never once felt out of control! I was definitely "In Control" but it still scared the shit out of me!! But the kind of scared I was feeling after the first run was Not,.. Oh shit I'm fucked!! It was,.. "Holy shit this is awesome fuckin' fast!!!" Once I saw that even the Rome rocker would hold a line on the smoothed out stuff, my confidence increased & I know I set several personal best's for speed on half a dozen of those runs! Scared shitless and smiling ear to ear down all of 'em!!!! :D :yahoo: :yahoo:

I was Jacked Up and Jabberin' from the adrenaline high for an hour after!!! :yahoo: :thumbsup:

Just wish there'd been enough time to go and get the Arbor out of check and point that sucker down a couple of those freshly groomed runs!! It would have been all tracked up & cut to hell by the time I could! None of it lasted longer than two or three runs before getting all bumped up again!

But while it lasted,.. It was SWEET!!!!! :D

#10 ·
There are a few smart phone apps that track all your speed such as average, top, and sustained speed along with other stats such as vertical for the day and air time and shows graphs of speed on which parts of the slope.

Hit 52.34 mph hour last year with my goal being to break 50, working on breaking 60 this year. Scare the shit out of myself sometimes, but I love the adrenaline rush from it, though I have only managed 54.32 so far.

#16 ·
I find it helps to become familiar with the optimal trails. Pick something with smooth fall lines with a safe exit. Find your lines and just keep lapping them. You'll be able to progress safely and will be hitting 50 in no time.

But make sure you have the right equipment. You don't want to be bombing on a park pickle with urathane highbacks and a $100 boot. If you're going to ride agressively, you need the right gear for it.

#20 · (Edited)
But make sure you have the right equipment. You don't want to be bombing on a park pickle with urathane highbacks and a $100 boot. If you're going to ride agressively, you need the right gear for it.
Sorry, but I know from my own experience that that is just bullsh*t. I have pretty soft highbacks (Union DLX) and even softer boots (ThirtyTwo Prion), and I've been going around 50 mph, according to the app on the iphone.

It's not about having fancy stiff boots and carbon highbacks and crap. Although yes, they do make everything more responsive and easier to handle, you don't need them just to go faster.
Having more responsive gear will only make it more comfortable to go faster, but that doesn't mean you can't already go just as fast if you have low end gear.

#18 ·
I hit 50 mph give or take a bit on my evo, solid as a rock. Just depends on snow conditions for me.

As for OP, why not post the video? Sometimes your form feels and looks good at slow speeds but changes dramatically at higher speeds. Your comfort level may be related to form at higher speeds.

#21 ·
Ive been using Alpine Replay on my Galaxy S3. I hear Ski Trax or something like that is good if you have a crapple iphone.

As to what Snowolf said...the board absolutely can make all the difference in the world. Sure you can hit 50 on a noodle, but would probably feel scary as hell. I chose my Never Summer RaptorX for a reason. Im a straightline rider. Love to bomb in just about any condition. I will say that 48 on bumpy icy runs at a crowded resort is a bit unnerving, even on the Raptor. But...that thing will stop on a dime if I need it to. Especially when you have unpredictable slow traffic in front of you. On nice early morning groomers, 50+ was a dream and felt really, really good on that board.

What are you riding by the way, OP? Not saying that the board is EVERYTHING, but certainly makes a difference if increasing your speed is high on your list of priorities. That said, my good friend is still a bit faster than me on his little Carbon Credit, but that comes more from confidence than anything else. Id hate to try and keep up with him if he were on a Premier or Raptor.

As others have said...slow progression is what it will take to up your confidence. Try short bursts of flat based straight lining on nice smooth runs and start getting used to the higher speeds. Before you know it you will be bombing chopped out crud with little fear. Just remember once you get going you need to commit. Thats what has helped me. I just stopped hitting the brakes and commit myself to the bomb. When you start to get tired or worn out start making wider turns and gradually slow yourself down and take a breather if you have to.

Good luck.

#22 ·
I use that Alpine replay app for recording my runs and i went 40mph on one run,the rest was a combine speed of 34mph. I was happy with that and besides my goal to progress more on bump runs. I know i could go much faster but it was not my priority. We have a blue/black run here on our local mountain that you can reach 70 mph BUT it has to be like a ghost town to safely achieve it. There was a youtube vid posted on that particular run. anyways, confidence is a big factor on going fast, but you have to be in control of such speed cuz we've seen or read about incidents of careless speed demons on the mountain.

#58 ·
I use the Alpine relay app too. It's my second year riding and I've been trying to break 35 mph carving. I never straight line bomb. I was psyched as well when I saw a recorded time of over 50mph!!!

... but then I realized that was when I drove from the summit lodge to the base lodge to pick up my friends and didn't turn off the app. DAMN! Hahaha

#25 ·
My Tracks is also an app option. Everyone has to remember that the GPS units in most phones are basic chips and your high speed is often going to be skewed. More solid data is going to be achieved with a dedicated GPS unit, but who wants to carry yet another "unit". To the Op, keep riding, keep pushing and you will find a new "comfort zone" with each passing day.

#27 ·
I have also compared my Ski Tracks to my Contour+ GPS and they were pretty damn close in multiple instances, so I'm happy with just using the app usually.

Ski Tracks:
"Location accuracy can be effected by iPhone position, foliage, reduced visible sky area (such as being in a valley), other electronic or magnetic devices close by. Track statistics such as Max Speed, Slope Angle are calculated on good quality location data over approximately 100 meters (300 feet). Our tests have shown that the accuracy is about ±5% depending on location."

On the wide open straight runs I find it seems pretty accurate. If you pick a nice wide open bomber run with nobody around and keep riding it over and over and tracking your progress it should give a fairly accurate reading of your improvements I would think.

#33 ·
Focus on control not gps

If you've been boarding for a few years , your body remembers your falls, bumps and bruises. It will let you go only as fast as your brakes can stop you. When learning you will go faster than you can control , causing face , head , and tailbone impact. If I would have found this forum years ago I could have save many bumps and bruises. Learning to slowdown , stop, when to use the tail to slow down and how to use the front to control your speed will give you the confidence to go faster. My turning point was after taking a lesson and learning to use the downhill foot.

If you are putting weight or leaning on your uphill foot out of fear, you are going too fast and likely have the tail come around and catch an edge.

Focusing on a gps for speed will not help you get faster or teach you more control. I actually go faster on flatter blue than steep blacks because it is much harder to slow down when it is steeper.

Maybe it is time to invest in a private lesson to get you to the next level. The videos and advice on this site is very helpful, but a live lessons can add so much more. Unless you are posting video how can someone advise you on form.

#40 · (Edited)
Ok I am back in this thread. Thought I was going ok with the speed increasing. Apparently not.

Today there are a few icy sections, nothing major. My board has been tuned a week ago so I have sharp edges with the tip and tail detuned.
I am constantly sliding out on my toe edge, of course it scares me and I slow down or just ride a combo of heels and flat (not a very advanced choice with 3 seasons of riding behind me)

Something is definitely going on with my riding. I have tried pulling my back shoulder back to stop counter rotation, trying to keep that front arm forward, weight forward. Trying to relax and bend my knees more (constant battle when you are scared)

What could be possible causes for this instability on my toes?

#43 · (Edited)
Just sack up, let the board go...u gotta have confidence in the board and start mobbin around with folks that are better and just try to keep up.

Sliding out on your toe edge...get lower really bend your knees, squat and keep your back straight to dig that edge in. And for ice...just float over it, don't try to turn, stop or slow down. When going fast, the fear is perhaps being able to stop or turn in time....the remedy for that is to look and ride further ahead...instead of looking 2-3 turns ahead...you need to look 2-300 yards head. And when you need to shut it down or slow, it will take 3-4 slashes instead of 1 or 2 hockey stops.

#41 ·
Just do it. Thats how I learn everything I know. Just do it. Read up of course on how to do it so you are doing it at least somewhat right but you will never learn or become confident until you just do it and fail a few times and learn how to do it. JUST DO IT.

#42 ·
There's only so much grip that any edge has. If you're on an icy steep, your board is not going to hold you up if you're bearing down desperately hard on that edge to bleed off speed. Of course it's going to slip. If your instinct when you start picking up speed is to bear down on an edge even harder, you're going to make the problem worse.

Slow yourself down by doing quicker, smaller-radius skidded turns. Try to plot your line to stay away from turning on icy patches, and when you're on parts of the slope that have more snow, work the entire arc of your turn, especially the top half.

#46 ·
Without videos or anything, I'm guessing of course. But I'd check first for too much toe overhang causing toe drag and pushing you off your edges. Failing that, maybe you aren't getting as far up on your edges as you think you are. With heelside of course the highbacks force you to edge, but with toeside if you don't have really stiff boots you might not be as high up on your edges as you think.

#48 ·
Problems my girlfriend filmed me at my local fridge today and I was shocked how slow I looked, although technique was solid
Never rely on a video to estimate your speed, especially not in snow. Since you’ve got no contrasts/landmarks, your eye will be deluded and you underestimate your speed.

I’m actually a cautious person, too. But I’m also stubborn. I ride with a bunch of very experienced guys (+20years on boards) so I couldn't let the matter rest till I was able to (almost) catch up. Took me many moons, to be confident enough. So take your time and just increase step by step.

I’d strongly disagree with that. How fast you dare to ride depends a lot of how secure and confident you feel and this depends on how well the board behaves at higher speeds. Well, there might be super cracks feeling fine with noodle boards and sneakers taped on the board instead of bindings, but for us intermediate riders, equipment can make a big difference. For me, it even depends on how hard I fasten the boots and straps. If there’s just a little too much free moving space, I get insecure. I only dare to ride fast if I know that the slightest movement of - say the toes - will be immediately transferred to the board :rolleyes:

I ride a Flagship 158 since this year and dare to go faster than ever, simply because it feels ok to do so. I began to measure with Ski Tracks some weeks ago. I’ve not yet done a run that felt very fast but already was at 55mph. I guess, there’s a big measure aberration but anyway, it made me think “well, that’s the speed I drive on a highway with a car with lots of airbags surrounding me… hmmm…”. Kind of scary.

BTW, I’m very glad I found this thread. ‘cause I’m still (and always be) the slowest in the pack, I always thought: the guys are fast and I’m rather slow. But it seems that I’m fast enough and the guys are just nuts :giggle:

#49 ·
Never rely on a video to estimate your speed, especially not in snow. Since you’ve got no contrasts/landmarks, your eye will be deluded and you underestimate your speed.

I’m actually a cautious person, too. But I’m also stubborn. I ride with a bunch of very experienced guys (+20years on boards) so I couldn't let the matter rest till I was able to (almost) catch up. Took me many moons, to be confident enough. So take your time and just increase step by step.

I’d strongly disagree with that. How fast you dare to ride depends a lot of how secure and confident you feel and this depends on how well the board behaves at higher speeds. Well, there might be super cracks feeling fine with noodle boards and sneakers taped on the board instead of bindings, but for us intermediate riders, equipment can make a big difference. For me, it even depends on how hard I fasten the boots and straps. If there’s just a little too much free moving space, I get insecure. I only dare to ride fast if I know that the slightest movement of - say the toes - will be immediately transferred to the board :rolleyes:

I ride a Flagship 158 since this year and dare to go faster than ever, simply because it feels ok to do so. I began to measure with Ski Tracks some weeks ago. I’ve not yet done a run that felt very fast but already was at 55mph. I guess, there’s a big measure aberration but anyway, it made me think “well, that’s the speed I drive on a highway with a car with lots of airbags surrounding me… hmmm…”. Kind of scary.

BTW, I’m very glad I found this thread. ‘cause I’m still (and always be) the slowest in the pack, I always thought: the guys are fast and I’m rather slow. But it seems that I’m fast enough and the guys are just nuts :giggle:
Make no mistake...55 is booking it. Unless you have a really nice smooth groomer 55 will make most people feel like shitting their pants. I hit that at Heavenly last month, just wish the run was steeper because that was maxed out. Barely a blue...but most of the steep shit was pretty well cruded up, so hitting even 45 was a bit sketchy.

#50 · (Edited)
yea never rely on a video, video don't do the justice, this weekend I am gonna use ski tracks app let's see how good it is and accurate and how fast I usually go.

I noticed something thou, I don't always go as fast as I can, but when I do I let my fear go (sometimes) and go faster, I never really fall, on the contrary, board just feels fine. but still haven't attempted to go fast on blacks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.