Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#2,895 · (Edited)
On that topic...I've been looking to upgrade from my first board, which I now have two seasons on (Burton Bullet - don't judge me, it was the cheapest decent board I could find that was a 164 or longer and also a wide). It has certainly served its purpose, but I want a longer board and one a bit wider. I also want a board with a bit more stiffness to it, like a medium flex.

So with that said, I am limited in my options. Of course, NS boards are talked about so well around here that I've looked into them because of this forum, but that's not the only reason I am pretty sure that I'm going to buy one. The Legacy 166 seems to just be the perfect match for what I'm looking for, now I just have to find a good deal on one so my wife will let me plop down the money for it!

#2,900 ·
So I've seen with a lot of boards in that size range in general. I'm assuming this is because they probably limit the production of those larger sizes?

Anyone with firsthand knowledge seem to think that board is the right choice for what I mentioned I am looking for, or is there a better model suited for Michigan groomers for a new/intermediate-level rider my size? Any input is appreciated, as always.

#2,897 ·
...and of course, I'm one of the few it seems who "Likes" the NS graphics!!! ;)

#2,905 · (Edited)
Ha no worries. I've been pretty mellow since I've domesticated myself.

I look and look and look, they are all 509.95. Just waiting for one to go on sale. But in general, a good board for me you think? Like I said, I don't do park stuff and probably fall under the improver/intermediate level rider at this point. The one thing I know is that my current board feels unstable and washes out occasionally on me whenever I try to pick up speed. Of course, it's entirely possible that it's user-error but I'm still convinced that the board I have is too soft for what I want to do.

Cool, just saw that. Demos are a safe buy in terms of condition?

#2,907 ·
I would shoot them a message and ask for photos. Also, it's worth contacting NS and asking about the reputation of this dealer. NS keeps close ties with their dealers.

Also, I am assuming it is one of the lesser used sizes. There aren't too many riders looking for 166w boards.

Another option to consider is the Heritage. It's going to be much more stable than the SL.

I might actually recommend it over the SL because the SL is still a freestyle board.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#2,913 ·
I would shoot them a message and ask for photos. Also, it's worth contacting NS and asking about the reputation of this dealer. NS keeps close ties with their dealers.

Also, I am assuming it is one of the lesser used sizes. There aren't too many riders looking for 166w boards.

Another option to consider is the Heritage. It's going to be much more stable than the SL.

I might actually recommend it over the SL because the SL is still a freestyle board.

haha, get outta my head.

#2,908 · (Edited)
to sabatoa: It's a 2012 demo 166 Legacy. It looks a little rough in the pic, but not too bad.

Ok thanks, that's exactly the kind of advice I am looking for Leo. When I use those online size selectors I always get something in the 170 range, but I figured I'd play it safe by only jumping up a couple cms at this point. The larger width is important though. I have a 26.2 waist on this board and still get a bit more than 1.5 inches on both sides of my board. Not a problem on blues, but sometimes can be on the few steeps I wander over to.

#2,914 · (Edited)
Yea see this is the kind of advice I need. Do I need a 166? Maybe I'm off base on that. Maybe the reason my 164 doesn't feel solid at high speeds is because of it's flex level or whatever. I'm a dumb fuck when it comes to this stuff, so the advice is surely appreciated.

So on that demo, it gives it a base rating of 3 which means "Average product - Graphics are very scuffed and faded from more than one season of use as a rental. Multiple scuffs, scratches, and nicks will be evident on this product ranging from 1 inch in size to 3 inches in size with possible slices on sidewalls. These still have plenty of use left in them; they are our most popular sellers and are a great deal."

I think I might be inclined to spend the extra bit to have a new board. Maybe I can wait and catch a sale, I'm in no huge hurry right now and still researching.

#2,915 ·
Technically Sam, you are on a freestyle size. And we all know you were working on freestyle. Also, you were supposed to lose weight haha.

A 163 is my powder board size. Jay rides a 162 Heritage and he doesn't weigh as much as you guys, but he also does 0 freestyle.

Technically speaking, even a 166 is on the shorter side for 260lbs. But for Michigan, it's good.

#2,922 ·
On that NS design team thing, I still haven't figured out why people are so bent out of shape about it all. I think it's a pretty great opportunity for those selected and that we'll all benefit from it regardless of whether we're on the team or not. Even though I'm new here as a member, I've read this forum for about 2 years now and have gotten a ton of useful info out of it. Anything that can add to the knowledge of this forum is a good thing IMO.

#2,923 ·
I think there's two things that happened.

1. The butthurt crowd. Predictable and unavoidable.

2. The second part is more complicated; perfect storm of unfortunate events. There was already a thread of people debating whether or not NS is overhyped here on the forum. In the middle of that fire, Binarypie or whatever his name is, dropped the hidden link to the announcement that was supposed to come today in the middle of the debate and it was like water on a grease fire.

Had that link not leaked in the middle of that thread I think things would have been way toned down. It was extra unfortunate that the thread came just a few days before the announcement. A week ago or longer and I think things would have been cooled off enough that the announcement would have went over better.

#2,931 ·
I think it would be unfortunate to not see at least some of the review information on here. If people don't like it they don't have to read it or comment. But there will be plenty others (probably more) that will welcome the info.

#2,933 ·
And in the event that I can't land a Heritage or a Legacy for a deal before next season, I will surely be interested in how the new line will compare overall so that I can make the decision to either buy a 2013 model at/near full price or a 2014 model.