Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2014 Snowboard Gear Preview Thread

179K views 365 replies 107 participants last post by  zk0ot 
#1 · (Edited)
You guys tired of 2013 yet? Trade show season is upon us, and yup, that means it is time for the 2014 preview thread. This does seem like it keeps getting earlier each year but I have to admit, I am always stoked to see the new gear, no matter when it shows up.

This will come in pieces to keep it manageable.

Lots of new stuff from Flow. The Whole NX2 line is cored out and lighter and yes, the toe strap (on the toe strap models) has been angled for an even wider boot fit range. The Fuse is a whole new line that offers active strap technology with a more flexible base and at a moderately lower price. There are two backless bindings (named Freeballers - yeahhhh!) as well as two new women's Nasty models. Also ABT gets expanded in 2014 with new zones being added underfoot for an ultra-smooth ride.

Tons of new stuff and upgrades this season fro the Flow camp. Some very cool new products and some great tweaks to some existing ones. I will start up a thread in the Bindings forum for all the new binding info but here is a taste.

See less See more
2 7
#258 ·
that new Cobra is about the ugliest graphic I've seen on an NS. Its like everything that's wrong with my proto's gfx except worse. Usually black is better imo, but not in this case.

:dunno: All my gear is ugly I dont really give a shit just sayin. :dunno:

#260 ·
I know that there has been a lot said about Addidas and their entry into the snowbaord market. One question that was brought up was how much would Addidas commit in terms of originality and design vs how much they would rely solely on heavy sponsorship, etc. We spent a half hour with the designers at SIA and snapped some photos and video. These are well thought out boots with a very cool (and easy) multi zonal lacing system, Soles developed through a tight partnership with Continental, an articulating outer with a nylon reinforced back, and tech heavy liners and footbeds. They fall at the high end of the market pricewise and are limited to two models at the start, but the boots do look great in person.

This locking closure at the ankle hinge isolatesthe lower zone in a very simple and secure manner. Each of the hooks above has teeth to allow fine tuning to the cuff zone.

#261 ·
I love it when brands continue to advance and refine their products. Rome has made 4 notable refinements this year to their top shelf bindings.

The size adjust is now an infinite position slider rather than the older 3 position holes. This is awesome for fine tuning size. The Yes I Cant canted footbeds are now all one piece. The base has been milled out for weight savings and allows the footbed to contact the board for better shock absorbtion and contact feel. The relaease on the ratchets is reduced in size and length so accidental actuations will be lessened. The forward lean on the 390 series has been improved for easier use and lighter weight. All of the bindings are ~20% lighter and all still carry Rome's 2 year warranty.

#263 ·
I love it when brands continue to advance and refine their products. Rome has made 4 notable refinements this year to their top shelf bindings.

The size adjust is now an infinite position slider rather than the older 3 position holes. This is awesome for fine tuning size. The Yes I Cant canted footbeds are now all one piece. The base has been milled out for weight savings and allows the footbed to contact the board for better shock absorbtion and contact feel. The relaease on the ratchets is reduced in size and length so accidental actuations will be lessened. The forward lean on the 390 series has been improved for easier use and lighter weight. All of the bindings are ~20% lighter and all still carry Rome's 2 year warranty.
Wiredsport, what are your thoughts on the highback flex and the stiffness/softness of the ankle straps?

#262 ·
Those new Rome buckles are actually what I was sent for replacements last year. I stated they were better than the stock ones. Glad Rome made that standard.

The new forward lean adjust looks solid. Looks like Rome has been listening and fixed the major complaints about their bindings.

Hopefully, the only thing left to complain about is the paint haha.

I might have to hop back on some Romes now.

Btw, that orange/black colorway for the boss looks badass.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#276 ·
Dumb question: when is 2014 gear available?

(Apologies for the noob question)

I've read all 28 pages (so far) of this thread, e-thumbed through all the new 13/14 catalogs up on zuzupopo, drooled over the new Flow nx2s etc.

So when are we likely to see some of this stuff appearing online or in brick-and-mortar stores?

Presumably "2014" means that this new gear is being positioned for the 2013/2014 northern hemisphere winter.

Being from Australia, our winter (if you can call it that... ok, you can stop laughing now) runs from June-Sept.

Is it too optimistic to hope that I'll pickup some of this new stuff in time for our season? Or do I resign myself to choosing from the 12/13 range for this year?

In particular, I'm interested in Never Summer, Rome & Flow.

#290 ·
Rome is adding to its 3D tech linep with the new Boneless. It is a very flexy jib-lover with fiberglass Hot Rods and a horizontally laminated Skate-Style core (viewable through the transparent sidewalls).

#297 ·
Whoah, did I ever blow that one. You are absolutely correct about the Boneless as a continuing model. I was only to point out the sidewall with the horizontal skate core...and look what came out. The other notes above about 3D, etc belong to the Brigade, not the Boneless. Apologies for that error and confusion.

Here is a description of the new Brigade:

3D Rocker in the nose and tail meets positive
camber down the centerline for a fine tuned
blend of freestyle fun and all-mountain
response. If it snows, ride pow. If it doesn’t,
ride park. The rest of the time, ride fast.

and this year's Shiv:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.