Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - anyone here ever quit smoking?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
gibbous

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-166-er View Post
i quit a couple years ago for like two months but that didnt work out obviously
Any idea why it didn't work that time? If you can stop for as long as a couple months, it sounds like you can deal with the withdrawl problems that make people turn to the patch or gum. I think if you figured out why you picked them up again after stopping for a while you might find your real problem. Stress? Social influence? Boredom?

I smoked for most of high school and college, even had one occasionally after I was finished with school. I was never a heavy smoker, so for me it was mostly finding the willpower to not bum one when I was out drinking or any of the other situations where I was just accustomed to smoking. Re-labeling yourself a non-smoker can take a while, but just the fact that they're disgusting and they kill you was all the motivation I needed in the end. I don't remember exactly when I last smoked one, but I'm sure I put it out half way through without caring if I never saw one again. Now if I even smell a cigarette sometimes I get sick to my stomach.

When you try again, getting as much exercise as you can will help as much as anything else I can think of, physically and psychologically. Also, would it be even remotely realistic to try to get your parents to quit with you? Strength in numbers...
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote