Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Hokkaido road trip 2013

9K views 64 replies 16 participants last post by  killclimbz 
#1 ·
It starts here, sydney airport. Im off to Hokkaido solo for 6 weeks living in a van, chasing the snow, no fixed address.
I will be reporting in whenever I can get free wifi with pics and vids. . You can also add me to facebook http://facebook.com/leigh.snowboardinginjapan . If anyone in the area wants to hook up drop me a pm or spacebook me.

#41 ·
Cheers dude. Living in the car is awesome, watch the weather maps and radar and chase the snow. Bumming it in resort lobby's, seeing the backstreets and places you would never see if the GPS didnt send you down some stupid road LOL.
As for cold the coldest its been is -21c and I was warm as toast in my -10 sleeping bag with down jacket, pants and hut booties. Hut booties are a must for doing this!

#52 ·
You would be surprised how much more snow you get when you have a car. The snow is very localised here. It can dump 80cm at one place and 40klm away might only get 10cm. This happened numerous times this trip with niseko being the looser.
Something big is coming this afternoon btw.

#57 ·
Kiroro has some nice bits but is painfully flat. I had the deepest day of my trip at kiroro with powder well over 1m deep but the place simply does not have the fall line to accommodate such deep snow. Teine is a much better bet in the deep stuff as it has steeps.

#60 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah i hope we can land ok haha. Weather reports did say strong winds and lots of snow. First day we have a friend taking us around to do some touristy stuff, and mainly just eating.

As for Kiroro being fairly flat, i guess i can cope with that. I ride a park board so i am happy to stick with the groomers if the powder runs are going to leave me stuck in waist deep powder flatspots.

Teine backbowls sound great but i only have about 5hrs of boarding there, and a wife who doesnt like hiking much. Will have to stick with the lifted runs, hopefully its not too bad

#63 ·
Kiroro: my first experience with real powder (the stuff that doesnt stick to your board at all). Park was closed, very few natural features near the groomed runs and those flat runs... holy crap they were boring. Wanted to try the tree runs but after seeing how flat it was at the bottom of the runs, i was worried i would just get stuck waist deep somewhere with no way out.

Teine: FUN. North face was awesome until the skiiers mogulled it up and beginner boarders snowplowed all the powder snow off. Snow was a little heavier but still amazing

Hokkaido, i will be back... (thinking April for some late season action)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.