Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Youth of America
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I think the lack of discipline and today's culture of entitlement go hand in hand.

I manage about 30 people in what I'd describe as an "entry point" government division. The jobs themselves are menial and dead-end, the pay is shit and the contracts are short-term. BUT...they give you the right to apply for internal government jobs that are not available to the general public and they have full benefits and a pension plan.

I am constantly shocked by the attitudes of a lot of the young people we hire. They won't apply for anything, they won't take free training courses, they don't do anything more than the minimum required (and most won't even do that). Yet they complain constantly about not getting promoted or getting what they "deserve". I've been told to fuck off countless times by new staff and somehow they're shocked when their contract gets terminated or they don't get extensions.
Nothing against you, but government jobs don't exactly attract the "best and brightest". When I was in college I had an internship in the intelligence community and was given a full offer afterwards. I turned it down without a second thought. Never in my life had I worked with such lazy people. In a typical 8 hour work day, the people I worked with may have worked 1-2 hours tops. The rest was chatting in eachothers cubes and holding pointless meetings. Drove me crazy.
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote