Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Blue to Black Transitioning at Jackson Hole
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
highairlo

Thanks all! I am definitely going out to enjoy myself on any terrain I encounter there. I am not obsessed with doing blacks, but I feel like at some point I need to start getting used to it. Thanks for the apres vous and casper lift advice. It was my plan on using apres vous and spend a day of double blues before I think of running down any blacks.

i went to my local ski hill the other day after a foot of snow had fallen last week and practiced on all their "blacks" (probably double blues out west). I practiced quick pivot turns on both of my boards and the easiest way I felt like i was leaning forward was to crouch lower to move the COG over the center of the board and pseudo-bounce and unweight right before the next pivot. it seemed to work well since i could feel how much easier it was to swing my back leg around.

I got more pivot turns in on the smaller board, but the bigger board I felt the sidecut bite in better on my carves. The only issue I had was a couple of wash outs on both boards on steeper terrain because I can't stop the chattering on my heelside speed checks. Still can't loosen up my knees across the chop and ruts and I bounce around instead of absorb. The only way to stop without washing out was to try to round out and carve back up the hill on the heelside but it was hard to do without full sidecut engagement because of the ruts and valleys i would cross. Not getting this down is going to kill my tailbone (at least 220lbs is better than 280lbs)!
highairlo is offline   Reply With Quote