Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

491K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#2,979 ·
LOL I'll take the cobra for some laps but I need to do it on a day that I can ride for more than only 3 hours or so. When my time is really limited as it has been, I don't like to either rush a review, or divert my time from working on progression :)

I will maybe borrow that when I go up to Crystal in a few weeks.

#2,980 ·
Ok, looks like I got some time now. I have a 2010/11 arbor roundhouse full camber, directional twin, 163W. Im 6ft 220 lbs size 10.5 boots I bought it after my second day out after my 1st lesson. I do not know what level u r riding at, Or what u have been riding, but this is an "Intermediate/Advanced" riders board.

The 2012/13 Roundhouse CX IS I believe a full camber deck as well, but it has the addition of the grip tech which mine does not. Unless they've radically changed other aspects of the '12/13 design, these r very stiff, heavy boards. The extra length in the nose gives it more flex n float in fresh the tail is much stiffer but can still ollie n pop. I had to learn to ride mine with very technically "Proper" technique as with the full camber, it doesn't suffer "sloppy" riding.

I have only been riding for two n half seasons. Since late Jan. 2011 so I have obviously ridden this board in some of the "Worst" conditions MI. can serve up!
Slab ice, Icy hardpack, inconsistant snow, (...mixed decent HP with ice,) late spring slush n crud, as well as a couple of weekends worth of Nice packed groomers n even a day or two of several inches of Fresh. It is really a pretty good all around board. Hard to say too much against it. The addition of grip tech in the new models would tend to make it an even better choice for the crap we get around here.

Having said all that, it isn't an easy board to ride. If you ride really loose or sloppy, it WILL punish you!! But I learned how to snowboard on it n I'm still here. I managed to learn how to ride switch on it despite being directional n with a large set back stance. I learned to butter, spin and even managed a few "1 inch ollies" on it! :) So it can b done.

I love mine. It loves to go fast in great conditions n holds a good line in the same. It does well on ice, (..probably do better if I wasn't such a puss about goin that fast on ice!). Grip tech version should do better still.

Lastly, because it was such an advanced, harder to ride right board,.. Now that I am getting on different (...profile, skill level, and shorter length,) boards,..

They feel EASY by comparrison. Skills n tricks that were hard to learn on the Arbor, r relatively easy on these other boards!!!

Learn to ride the Arbor right? And you will definitely become a better boarder!

(...So, Leo, Dave, Sabatoa, How'd I do for my first real revue here?) ;)

#2,981 ·
I think you did awesome even though I have no credentials to judge. Other than the fact however, that your review answered my major concern about forgiveness to sloppy riding. I guess it's down to a choice of getting a less forgiving board and upping my skill level to compensate or going middle ground with something better than the piece of junk I'm on but more suited to an intermediate rider, which is what I consider myself.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to post that, I really do appreciate it.

#2,982 ·
Hey Trap, no problem. Happy to help
One thing I forgot to mention. At first I was tryin n riding in size 11 boots. I have really wide feet. Since going with the 10.5 32's I have now, and riding a few regular width boards, I've learned I didn't NEED a wide board. (...Thank u REI!) :p

You with your "Wookie" size 12's, Do need a wide deck. Some of the "Harder to ride" aspects I spoke of, might not b quite as tough for you, especially since you already have experience riding under your belt. Just something else to consider.
:thumbsup:

#2,983 ·
Hey Trap, no problem. Happy to help
You with your "Wookie" size 12's, Do need a wide deck. Some of the "Harder to ride" aspects I spoke of, might not b quite as tough for you, especially since you already have experience riding under your belt. Just something else to consider.
Good point on that last sentence. BTW, it's a size 15, not 12.

#2,992 ·
Funny how it works isn't it. LOL I am more of a lurker than a poster, but reading so much of everyone on here's thoughts, you really get a sense that you " know" them.

I know I look forward to eventually getting up north to ride with SW and I wish I could have been there to see BA in the ring at SIA etc....

#2,991 · (Edited)
Sabatoa: Thanks for that. It takes time for new people to learn their way around and I wanted to be sure to be respectful and play by the rules. Fact is I'm more comfortable posting questions like these in here because I feel like more of a part of this mini-community since we all have more in common being in Michigan. Plus, there is a pragmatic reason for it as well, seeing as how everyone here is more in tune with our specific riding conditions/challenges in our region.

#3,000 ·
Saturday would be a great day to go. All this snow we have coming in will make for a nice run on that green Plus, even when Holly is crowded, that run stays pretty open. Plus it's wider than PK's anyway. I actually like taking runs through there just because of the length and how mellow it is. It's my dick around run.

I'll ride switch alongside you and fall with you lol

#3,002 ·
Unless my sniffle develops into a cold, I'll be at Mt. Holly with my son on Saturday. (We had been going on Sundays, but it'll be Saturday this week.) I'm betting it will be a bit crowded if we get the snow that's in the forecast.

#3,008 ·
I shoudl've known better than to go to PK today at 2pm, on a snow day of all things. What a shit show that was, and probably the least fun I've had snowboarding in quite some time.

The park looks great, but there were just waaaaay too many people for it to be at all enjoyable/safe.

I think they now have a total of 8 jumps. 3 large ones on Snowbird, 1 small one in Pinery, and 4 small/medium in Timberline. Plus the spine feature on Snowbird.

Added or rotated more jib & rail features. Looks rad. Just too crowded.

#3,012 ·
Ok, looks like it's going to be Mt. Holly today! I have to say that although I like the number of longer runs they have compared to PK,.. the crowds @ the high speed lift is ridiculous, and the rest of their lifts are Freakin' slow as shit!!

PK last night was only OK! Pretty crowded even after 6 pm, and they didn't re-groom so all the fresh was scraped up & piled into mini moguls with icy spots between them! Couldn't get any decent speed runs as it was WAY too bumpy everywhere! (...at least for me anyway!)

I did manage a couple of "pops" off of some of the "bumps" that had formed into mini jumps. I even hit one switch!! (...did that one by accident! Saw it too late & nuthin' to do but go for it & pray!!!) Probably didn't get higher than a foot or so off the ground for any of them, but I did get off the ground. So I'm counting it!!! :D Only ate it on one & that was because a skier cut me off just as I hit it.

Funny thing about the "brakes!" They don't seem to work "in the air!" :laugh:

#3,014 ·
Mt. Holly's jump line is hands down the best around right now. Snow was great today if a little slow. Let's hope this rain in the forecast is short-lived; as of right now they're saying a "little" rain and possibly mix on Monday.

There is another front moving through the Rockies right now, should be here by the weekend. Fingers crossed!

#3,015 ·
Highlands was awesome today, perfect weather, fast snow and it didn't get too crowded until later in the day. Even then we just took the interconnect and there was barely anyone over there. Boyne Mountain was fun last night too, but it was a fucking zoo. God I wish we didn't have to leave tomorrow already.